• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles, Gears, Tires, Decisions

Good decisions all around as far as the rear packs try making your own from mix and match way cheaper and it's a fun learning how to tune the packs... try starting out with dakota main leafs or ford f150 mains and adding from there they are about 4 to 5" longer and will help with the flex a nice flat spring will flex up and down instead of an arched spring that will just flex down keep that in mind...

good luck in the hunt and congrats on saving yourself a buttload of cash and stress on the trail...

themud

I'm not sure if it's wise to run 6" leafs on stock shackles? That would certainly get me down to 6"
in the back, but seems like I've read in the past that bigger leaf packs should be run with a longer
shackle. What do you guys think?
Running a stock shackle on those springs will cause spring bind upon compression which will cause any of a number of issues. You're better off trading for some 5.5" lift springs and use some long shackles to get the 6-6.5". You can use revolvers to help the articulation.

Running a stock shackle on those springs will cause spring bind upon compression which will cause any of a number of issues.

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought... I couldn't remember what the exact reason was but I
knew it wasn't a good idea... I think I'll look for some 4.5 inchers and keep my 1.5" shackle... probably
keep my fronts and just turn my ACOS all the way up (or down depending on how you look at it).

Now I gotta find someone who wants to trade leaf packs! Anybody ???

Oh and I just read some reviews... Toyo's are definitely out, too many people said they were horrible
in the snow and where I live we got almost 300" last winter.

Last edited:
If you like the Toyo's, try the Cooper STT and the Procomp Xtreme Mud Terrain. Both have a very similar tread to the Toyo, but should be better on the street.

Thanks I'll check that out - Cooper makes great tires, Ive run their ATR before on a WK Grand and its a solid tire - I like those Pro comps but it irritates me that some of them are directional, I like to keep my full size spare in a constant rotation and directional would keep me from being able to do that - I'll check to see if the Extreme MT is or not, it looks like a good tire...

Last edited:
Pro Comps are made by Cooper... that's interesting, didn't know that... Unfortunately I just read
quite a few negative reviews about the Pro Comps... Several saying they are out of round and
there is a big problem with separation and chunking... 75% of reviewers praised them but 3 out of 4
isn't enough for me.

BFG's are tried and true... Think I better stick with them

Last edited:
Back