• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles for 38's

Capt. Nemo said:
Its like this:

Ford 9
250-300 lbs*

Dana 60
400-450 lbs*

14 bolt
550+ lbs*

*Guesstimating the weights, but you get the point.

:bs:
I would check your numbers a little. There is no way my 60 weighs in at 400-450 or I'd never be able to move it. Without the axle shafts, I can pick it up (bear hug) and walk it around. Otherwise it'd be still sitting in the back of my SUV

FileHandler.ashx

I had read in a mag an article about 'putting your rig on a diet' and and I remember them saying that a Corporate 14 bolt weighed in at about 500 and a 60 weighed in about 300 for a 200# weight savings. So if that is true it looks like you just might be off on the 60 weight Eric.

I am totally unsure, but I would guess the 9" has a 50# advantage over the 60.

Last edited:
Roostertail said:
daytona style pinion support.

What ever else you do, YES.

cracker said:
:bs:
I would check your numbers a little. There is no way my 60 weighs in at 400-450 or I'd never be able to move it. Without the axle shafts, I can pick it up (bear hug) and walk it around. Otherwise it'd be still sitting in the back of my SUV

FileHandler.ashx

I had read in a mag an article about 'putting your rig on a diet' and and I remember them saying that a Corporate 14 bolt weighed in at about 500 and a 60 weighed in about 300 for a 200# weight savings. So if that is true it looks like you just might be off on the 60 weight Eric.

I am totally unsure, but I would guess the 9" has a 50# advantage over the 60.

You're right, my numbers are probably off, I was just making the point that the 14 bolt is a :pig: - especially with drums. I searched around for quite a while, buy couldn't find anything definitive on these particular axle weights.

Nice upgrade from the 8.8, BTW!

some info I found on Pirate,Bronco 9"-194lbs,Chevy Dana 60-518lbs,14 Bolt- 550lbs w/ drums and 450lbs w/o,9" w/ 35 spline axles and Detroit-257lbs.Your 60 with Ford ends is going to be alot lighter than a FF60.

Roostertail said:
Its like this:
Ford 9
- 35 spline shafts with bearings $ 450
- Loaded 35 spline chunk $1400
- Disk brakes $ 450
Total $2,100

Dana 60
- 35 spline shafts with bearings $ 450
- Ford 9 Forgings $ 70
- Gears/locker/install kits $ 900
- disk brakes $ 450
Total $1,870

14 bolt
- Stock shafts plenty $ 0
- gears/locker/install $ 750
- Disk brakes $ 450
Total $1,200

I'm not crazy about the clearance of the 14 bolt, or having to get new rims, but now I can share shafts and spares with my wifes Ramcharger. I'm thinking I'll rum some newer stock chevy 8 bolt chrome rims to save on width and money. I have the parts to convert the front Ford Dana 44 to 8 Bolt HD (large bearing) hubs and lockouts. I'm sure that I'll be swearing every time I'm hung on the HUGE center, but I'll be able to afford to go wheeling when its done! I'll post some progress pics soon.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a 31 splin 9" and 8" rims?

about 30 minutes with the angle grinder and my 14 bolt has the same clearance (give or take an 8th inch) as a stock d60 , and thanks to the removable extra pinion bearing i can run a skid to protect the yoke/u joint from great lakes 65$ to your door.

88rockxj said:
... and thanks to the removable extra pinion bearing i can run a skid to protect the yoke/u joint from great lakes 65$ to your door.
Same thing I got in my 9. Saved my axle plenty of times in Clayton.

magoo117 said:
some info I found on Pirate,Bronco 9"-194lbs,Chevy Dana 60-518lbs,14 Bolt- 550lbs w/ drums and 450lbs w/o,9" w/ 35 spline axles and Detroit-257lbs.Your 60 with Ford ends is going to be alot lighter than a FF60.

Is that a front chevy D60? I have a Full Float 60 in the rear of my XJ and with the drums it could still be moved easily by two people.

Fryphax said:
Is that a front chevy D60? I have a Full Float 60 in the rear of my XJ and with the drums it could still be moved easily by two people.

Exactly what I was thinking. :rolleyes:

I think my front HP 44 is 300+ ish. I could see the Front 60 gaining some ground on it. Obviously the front axles weigh quite a bit more than their rear equivelents.

Back