• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AXLES FOR 36 IROKS

Paul S said:
I'd be more concerned about the rear 44 than the front 30, but I think both would be fine on the best trails around as long as you're not REALLY beating on it.
A built 30 will hold up to a lot more abuse than most give it credit for.

Paul
** What do you think i should do to make the rear hold up? 33 spline up grade, or is the 35- spline up-grade from tri-country gear? or time for new axle or 35 inch tires? p.s how is the creepy crawls? 35 or 37?? thanks for the time

oakesters said:
** What do you think i should do to make the rear hold up? 33 spline up grade, or is the 35- spline up-grade from tri-country gear? or time for new axle or 35 inch tires? p.s how is the creepy crawls? 35 or 37?? thanks for the time
If you have yet to invest any money into a rear axle, consider going to a TrueHi9(.com) with 1.5" shafts. It's a great axle for anything from 33s to 40s (maybe bigger). It's a little steep initially, but if you've got the money to "do it once, do it right" then do it.

BrettM said:
If you have yet to invest any money into a rear axle, consider going to a TrueHi9(.com) with 1.5" shafts. It's a great axle for anything from 33s to 40s (maybe bigger). It's a little steep initially, but if you've got the money to "do it once, do it right" then do it.
i have an arb in he rear, but could go the front, or that what i was thinking, because of upgrade the rear spline count in the rear?

Last edited:
We have tellico, which gives every vehicle that goes there a beating, I guess that there really is a huge difference between east coast and west coast thinking
BrettM said:
Things like vehicle weight, motor torque, transmission type, gearing, and weight of right foot need to be factored in. To people replying saying their friends run 37s on the D30; do you have rocks like JV? If not, shut it.

HD 9" housing, True Hi 9, 35 spline alloy shafts in the rear, hp 9", 31 spline alloy, 760s in the front.

:D

oakesters said:

I think as long as you're running upgraded axles in the 44 you'll be fine, my statment about the 44 was only to say that I think it's a bigger weak link than a 30.

My experience with a built 30 was in about 6 years of regular JV use (maybe 15 trails a year) + yearly 'Con trips etc., was that it held up great. This was when I had a full figured XJ & I still knew how to drive.
Year 7 & 8 were not so good. After chopping the XJ, doubling my yearly JV dose & finding that little pedal on the right was good for something, I broke 2 R&P's & pretty much destroyed an ARB, none of which left me hanging on the trail or were cause to call a weekend short.

Bottom line, you can drive pretty damn hard on a built 30/44 combo on the hardest trails around, as long as you drive somewhat sane.

Paul

Well see how a stock 30 with 297s and 36" tsl sx's do this weekend. Ill post carnage pics or victory pics!

BrettM said:
where? if it's Phil's rubicon run, I hope you have spares...

Naw I wish, I'm just runnin heartbreak ridge, holcomb creek, john bull, dishpan and lower larga in big bear to warm up on saturday then were goin down big bear into johnson valley to run clawhammer and sledgehamer for my birthday and yes I do have spares.......two sets..........man I knew I should have held on to my 68 ford kingpin d60 that I got at pickapart for $135.

I'm running 36" IROKS with a D44 front(waggy) and D60 rear. I built my axles for less that what polishing the D30 would have cost me. I fabbed it myself and already had the rear D60. I'm running stock shafts and u-joints and so far no damage. Best thing is that its all standerd parts that can be found at the local parts store or wrecking yard. Also for 36" tires I would want to with lower gears than what the D30 offers(4.88?). I'm running 5.38s.

cLAYH said:
I'm running 36" IROKS with a D44 front(waggy) and D60 rear. I built my axles for less that what polishing the D30 would have cost me. I fabbed it myself and already had the rear D60. I'm running stock shafts and u-joints and so far no damage. Best thing is that its all standerd parts that can be found at the local parts store or wrecking yard. Also for 36" tires I would want to with lower gears than what the D30 offers(4.88?). I'm running 5.38s.

That's some nice gearing. I have 5.38's/5.43's in my HP44/9" and love them, then again 4:1 in the t-case with a auto tranny help out a lot as well. Anything lower than 5.38's and that is getting a little skimpy on tooth contact. What lug pattern are you running? Do you have a semi float or full floater D60? I would love a 8 lug HP44 and matching from the factory full floater 60, but the 35 spline 9" with removable nodular 3rd member is nice as well. As is a HI9 35 spline axle with all the trimmings. :)

What stuff do you East coast guys throw at your Jeeps and with what results? Do some of you guys have dana 30 or 44 holding up to 38-39" tires on mud trails?

I am starting my axle build up, and have a couple of ??? I am also wanting to run a 36/ 37 tire. I have a matching set 44/9 combo 5on 5.5 hole pattern. I also have a full float 60 rear with 8 lug pattern. Should I stay with the matching set, or find a set of 8 lug outers for the HP44. its not a daily driver, but will be making long highway trips to and from the creeks and rivers.

later Heath

cLAYH said:

So you have the exact same weak link as a d30, in the 297/760?

cal said:
So you have the exact same weak link as a d30, in the 297/760?
Most people think it is the ring and pinion, and brakes , having real hi-steer, and i want to go 5.13 , how are 5.13 on the road.
So, my plan is as of now is a dana 44 in front, and at least 33 splines in the rear, looking at the 35 spline up-gade from tri country gear, but i dont now abut a arb in the rear. the 3 inch creepy crawls look good, or do i go with 35''s and call it a day??? ** SOME MUCH GRAY AREA**

indeed, there is alot of gray area..

Myself, I wouldnt want to be runnin 35+'s on stock d44 shafts and ujoints.. thats asking for trouble. :)

cal said:
indeed, there is alot of gray area..

Myself, I wouldnt want to be runnin 35+'s on stock d44 shafts and ujoints.. thats asking for trouble. :)
** IF i go with the dana 44 it will be with alloy and ctms, i was wanting to add the dana 30 hub kit to so i will have 30 and 30 spline, and maybe add drive flanges, hows that going to be 37's?

Back