• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle vent relocation

diabloxj

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone ever moved the axle vent to a different place? i was under my jeep the other day after wheeling though some deep water. and i saw some gray stuff coming out to the frame. what happend was water got into the rear end and made the oil foam up and come out the axle vent that vents into the frame rail. i'm sure the water got into the rear end though the vent in the first place. i wanted to know if anyone has moved the vent up higher or inside the cab? or is this just a dumb queston

I have not, but I have seen other people who have. Just ran it into the cargo area in the back and put a fuel type filter on the end.

I ran a long vent line from the rear dif, along the frame rail where some other lines are, and into the back of the engine compartment finally attaching with a ziptie to the front dif vent line and then put a little plastic hat on it. Just don't tighten the zip ties too much or you could crimp the line and prevent it from being a vent.

I never did figure out where the original line went to once it went in the frame, but from the sound of it you answered that question for me.

Robert

i ran mine along the frame and in the rear bumper than behind the tail light and i still have managed to get water in :laugh3:

I can't remember where I found them, but for the rear axle, I found some accordian style caps that you can zip-tie to the axle breather. They were like $25 for 4 shipped. I think I found the link on Pirate4x4. Used them on my 8.25, g/f's TJ's 44, and a buddy's yota.

My '99 has a vent for the front axle in the engine compartment topped off with one of those little check-style (correct term?) ends. It's somewhere along the firewall. I'd go look, but I'm at work and my wife has the XJ anyway.

best place for the rear vent is to run it up to your gas cap area and loop it and top it with the one way vent cap (factory style). The front diff should be routed with your t-case and trany vent up high in engine compartment near
brake booster and near fender.
hth

Lodi Jim: Is there a write up anywhere about the tranny vent? I always forget to look for the vent when I'm under there. Isn't it just a stubby pipe at a 45* angle?

Anyone know the size (diameter and approximate length) that's needed for the lines? I don't think I've ever seen anyone post what size they use....

Also, do most people get rid of the old lines altogether, or just get fittings and extend the old lines with the new?

TIA!

diabloxj said:
that would be great to have a write up on where all the vents are and where you should put them
I've read (somewhere) that they should be run into the engine compartment, and the rear axle vent is most easily run into the gas filler compartment, but I've never found an actual write up about the tranny vent. That's the one I'm most concerned about.

the auto trany vent ends at an open pipe behind the top of bell housing,
the t-case vent is near bottom of firewall.
My '88 had the vent tubes located above the starter (4.0) and just extended
them to near the brake booster.

it would be nice to make a colection can or something like that. something that all the tubes can go into and vent and not get water in. something like and old coffee can with the tubes coming up from the bottom. but i'm not sure what you could do about a filter?

Back