• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap this weekend. what did I forget?

Fozzy_Bear

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

I have an '89 XJ with a quarter-million miles on it. The front D30 is nearly dead and the rear D35 aint anything to write home about either. Also, this is a 5 speed, so I was going to buy some pretty low gears for it since I am a n00b to wheeling.

Well into that situation came an oppurtunity to kill about 4 birds with one stone when I bought a new set of axles. I got a front D30 from a 96 XJ (the strounger U's and solid shaft) and a rear D44 that has the shock mounts raised and the perches set for 5" of lift along with a Disk brake conversion. They have 4.88's installed in them and the front has a locker. These axles came off an '87 XJ, so they should be about as plug-and-play as I'm ever going to find.

So I got a 3 inch lift kit and I'm going to install the lot this weekend. I know the perches are set for 5, but I figure I can see if 3 works, and if not, I can add spacers/shackles to get to 5. I'm only planning on 32" or 34" tires at most, and so a 5" lift just lifts my CG for no reason.

OK so my first questions is:
Am I on the right track so far? Is ther any flaw in the basic plan tht you can see?

The next (big) questions is:
What am I gooing to need in the way of consumeables? I figure I'm going to need a couple of bottles of brake fluid, a couple of bottles of PB blaster (* see below), a whole $$$tload of shop towles, a grease gun, a few air-wrenches. And, of course, enough beer and burgers for anybody I can con into coming over.

Anybody who has done this before: What Am I forgetting?

* - And on the topic of PB Blaster, I hear that I should start a few days early and hit the bolts over and over before the actuall day. Could somebody please tell me exactly which bolts I should be sure to get so that I don't miss any?

Thanks

I'd just crawl under there and look for all the bolts that look like you'd be taking off. if you hit a few to many that wouldn't hurt anything. Definitally the u-bolts, lower and upper control arm bolts. (at the axle and at the frame if you are replacing them) Shock bolts for safe measure. I can't think of anything else right now. I'm sure someone will have more to add. If you are taking the leaf pack out be sure to get the bolts for those really good also. if you are adding an add-a-leaf hit the leaf pack pin.

Last edited:
Dent Doctor said:
I'd just crawl under there and look for all the bolts that look like you'd be taking off. if you hit a few to many that wouldn't hurt anything. Definitally the u-bolts, lower and upper control arm bolts. (at the axle and at the frame if you are replacing them) Shock bolts for safe measure. I can't think of anything else right now. I'm sure someone will have more to add. If you are taking the leaf pack out be sure to get the bolts for those really good also. if you are adding an add-a-leaf hit the leaf pack pin.

That reminds me. I AM using an AAL, and I have never messed with that before. I think I'll start a new thread about just that.

- thanks.

for the leafs you are gonna need a new center pin for the springs, new u bolts if yours are frozen or worn, new leaf spring clamps for sure. You'll probably do alot of cutting too so warm up the grinder

The front will be sort of easy. You will replace control arms and I assume you have new shocks for the higher lift. Extended brake lines will be good at that hight. If nothing else straighten out the front hard lines and reattach them lower. Take a look you will see what I mean. If money is tight, there is a thread just a day or 2 ago about OEM brake lines that are cheap and longer at parts stores. If you are going to have the brake system open, might as well do it at the same time.

I used a quart of fluid to do my brakes, ran into problems and used another one. you shouldn't have any problems just bolting up lines. Does the rear axle come with a hard line? If you need to fabricate new lines, you will need a double flare tool. Are the front brakes good, do you need to replace anything?

Spring packs are easy. Cut or break the center pin off. There is no way you will be reusing it. You will need 2 5/16 center pins and 4 spring clamps. Cut the old ones off. Clamp the spring pack before you cut the center pin!!! BOING. If you go to a spring shop, might as well get new tip certs. All that should cost $30. Clamp them together with C-clamp, put in center pin, bolt em up. Instal spring clamps when they are on with weght.

Changing the diff oil isn't a bad idea. RTV for gasket. You will need the u-bolts and plate for the axle. New u-bolt are a good idea.

You shouldn't have a problem, but be prepared for drive line issues. You can probably get away with no SYE in the back, you mentioned shims. Be sure to check your slip yoke before and after. The 44 is an inch longer. The front pinion will probably be off, not much you can do about that. You might be good, just don't be suprised if there are vibes.

Get an alignment with the new lift on, go wheel, have fun.

Just one question, 5" too much lift for 32-34 tires? That's odd, the recommended tire sizes are:

4.5" lift up to 32 tires
6.5" lift up to 33 tires with fender trimming

So, you shouldn't be thinking about 3" only, 4-5" will be a good idea if you have 32 tires.

Regards

schmiedel said:
Just one question, 5" too much lift for 32-34 tires? That's odd, the recommended tire sizes are:

4.5" lift up to 32 tires

So, you shouldn't be thinking about 3" only, 4-5" will be a good idea if you have 32 tires.

Regards

If you belive everything you read here is some more. I ran 32 with trimmed fenders and 2" BB. Found out when I put on my 4" lift I only had an inch of lift from new. I changed my bumpstops and rubbed only slightly on my LCAs. Next, 4" with 33" and trimmed fenders. No rubbing anywhere. I do have an 1" more offset or width added to each side of my axles though.

I don't believe everything, but I have a 2.5" lift with 30 tires and it works great on the street, but when wheeling it WILL rub with the fenders. I could trim them abit and I will solve it, but that's for 30 tires, if I upgrade to 32 tires, the 2.5-3 lift will work on street but will definitively cause trouble with a disconnected swaybar and some rocks. I have seen 33 tires on 3" lifts and they work "fine" on the street, but from experience, a disconnected swaybar and alot of flex will ask for really high lifts on a XJ if you want large tires.

schmiedel said:

4.5" lift up to 32 tires

Regards

Well, lets see...

I don't want to get involved with the religious wars that usually go along with this discussion, but I'll let you know what my reasoning is:

I live in Norfolk Va which means that I have either as much sand, or mud as I could possibly want. - Ever heard of the Great Dismal Swamp? That's next door - However any trail with even a slight hill is an hour's drive time away, and any serious rocks are over 3 hours. So basicly tread design is much more critical for this rig than articulation. Add to that this is a purely weekend toy, only street legel so that I don't have to tow it. So I really have no problem trimming the heck out of it.

So basicly, I am willing to push the limits of minimum lift and modify from there if needed.

schmiedel said:
I don't believe everything, but I have a 2.5" lift with 30 tires and it works great on the street, but when wheeling it WILL rub with the fenders. I could trim them abit and I will solve it, but that's for 30 tires, if I upgrade to 32 tires, the 2.5-3 lift will work on street but will definitively cause trouble with a disconnected swaybar and some rocks. I have seen 33 tires on 3" lifts and they work "fine" on the street, but from experience, a disconnected swaybar and alot of flex will ask for really high lifts on a XJ if you want large tires.

Bumpstops.

Well, Bumpstops will certainly do the job, but if the purpose of lifting the XJ is for offroading, bumpstops will limit the uptravel of the suspension, and thus the flex. I'm not saying it's impossible to use big tires with low/medium lifts, I'm just questioning if it's really a good idea. You can do many things that could be a good idea for some, and a bad idea for others, what's important is that for every decision you take, you can know the advantages and disadvantages before.

For example, in my case I installed some 2.5" coil spacers and removed the bumpstops as they were far too short to keep working. I thought this would not cause any trouble until I ruined my right fender and found out that my left tire is rubbing against the control arm when turning. Why didn't I do anything about that? Just because then I wasn't aware of this kind of things. Now I learned my lesson and I'm going for 3.5" coil springs and adjustable lower control arms and trackbar to solve this problem. What comes next? Possibly a drop pitman arm, and if I want further lifting I will certainly have to get a SYE and so on. My point is that it's important for everybody to be aware of the pros and cons of what he's asking about so everybody can take his own decision knowing the possible limitations.

Regards

We don't need to get into a pissing contest and hijack the thread. Schmiedel has valid points, and we all have different experience. To put mine into context, I did get my bumpstops set right, and I do have trimmed fenders. After you put your lift on, you will need to go flex it up and check everything out. See what is rubbing and what you need to adjust. With the type of driving that you talked about, you will probably be ok, but you don't want to eat a fender or cut a tire. Better safe than sorry. Now get of the computer and start wrenching!

Dirt Surfer said:
We don't need to get into a pissing contest and hijack the thread.

Well, thanks, but now I have to bump my thread myself... :jester:

Well, lets do one last bump to get the weekend crowd. Wrenches start turning in the morning.

ttt

Get new U bolts. If you are only droping the axles, just hit everything that is conected to the axle. Lower shock mounts, drivesaft bolts, brake lines, control arm bolts, track bar bolts, steering. Im sure Im forgetting a couple, but thats more or less it. When in doubt, spray it.

Back