• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle issue

MJmanche

NAXJA Forum User
So In my d35 I have 4.10 and in the front I have 3.73. My issue is should i regear the d30 to a 4.10? I have access to a ford 8.8 for 150 bucks from a 98 ranger. If i go with the 8.8 I will do a soa, But it has 28 splines and I think my d35 has 27 or 29, either way, would I need a whole new drive shaft? what would you do? Thanks.

Find a 31 spline with disks from any explorer 96+. It will be 31spline and closer to the right width.

Gear ratio all depends on what tires you have and use for the vehicle. If you are on anything larger than a 31" tire you need to go deeper than 4.10 so it doesnt really matter what the ratio of the new axle will be. (Please no arguments of gear/tire size). You would then be gearing both axles. If your staying small on tire size then just find another axle thats 4.10 for the rear and regear the 30.

Ranger axles are narrower wms than xjs by a few inches.

Last edited:
Also, never spend money to accomodate a Dana 35.

Its not worth its weight in scrap....

you cold probably find a 96+ disc brake 8.8 with 3.73 for 150$ and call it done with a ruffstuff swap kit. For the DS all you would need to do is buy an 8.8 DS flange for a 1310 U joint. any DS place will have them for like 40$. Don't put a single 1$ into that d35.

So have swap in an explorer axle with 3.73 and eventually regearing to 4.56 for either 33s or 35s. How long can i run the 3.73s with 33 inche tires? Thanks

So have swap in an explorer axle with 3.73 and eventually regearing to 4.56 for either 33s or 35s. How long can i run the 3.73s with 33 inche tires? Thanks

I have 4.10s and 33s and I'm tired of it. Its fine around town, but at freeway speeds it sucks.

Also, never spend money to accomodate a Dana 35.

Its not worth its weight in scrap....

Tell that to a Yj/Tj owner, lol.

For a painless bolt-in swap just use a 97 up Chy 8.25 with 29 spline axles from an XJ plenty strong for the 33's and the right gear for them is 4.56's but wish I had gone with a 4.88 in mine.

For a painless bolt-in swap just use a 97 up Chy 8.25 with 29 spline axles from an XJ plenty strong for the 33's and the right gear for them is 4.56's but wish I had gone with a 4.88 in mine.

Um, XJ axles are not straight "bolt-in" to an MJ.
The spring perch width is different and stock MJ is SUA vs SOA. So, in a way since it needs to be modified anyways an Exploder 8.8 with disc brakes would be better.

Go to you local pick and pull and find an Eddie Bower Edition explorer, check the tag and you should find 4.10 gears, disc brakes and an LSD. 4.10's will be fine with 33's.... as long as you don't spend a bunch of time on the interstate.

I would recomend against the lsd. You cannot put a lunchbox locker in it without spending close to the same as a full case locker. And the limeted slip is useless off road with bigger tires. Thus the reasone mine which i spent money on rebuilding and packing tight with carbon cobra clutches is now lincoln locked.
4.10s will be usable. Not ideal though.

he has 3.73s up front. I wouldnt pay to regear that to 4.10, might as well go straight to 4.88. but then again he might as well wheel with the 3.73s for a year, so get a 3.73 8.8, open. That way you can stuff a lunchbox in there. Then, after wheeling for a year or so, regear to 4.88 if you plan to run 33s.

So get an open 3.73 8.8 and run that with 33s until I can afford 4.88. Sounds like a good plan to me, thanks for the feedback. So the search on this forum is terrible, can anyone post a link on here with a writeup of an 8.8 for an mj. thanks again.

Google your seach with naxja on the end.
"8.8 mj naxja"

Axle swaps with leafs are pretty straight forward. Perches, shock mounts, breaklines, drive shaft. Any 8.8 install will show how it is done. Just have to adjust measurements for mj install.

Last edited:
ruffstuff has a beefy swap kit. You will possibly end up messing around with brakelines on the 8.8. if you pull the 8.8 yourself just pop off the DS flange that is on it, and bolt it up to the pinion and use that.

as for the open 8.8, the reason is, the LSD in these is pretty worthless once they have been used, even new they are pretty worthless as a traction aid. Gordon knows this from experience. Going open you can run a lunchbox until you re-gear and then consider going full carrier.

if you could find a 825 with 3.73s you could use that as well but I would go 8.8 for many reasons ,

So try and find an 8.8 that is open and regear to 4.56 when i get the money. Sounds like a plan! Oh and could i use write ups for xj swap for my mj, i know they are different but its the same concept correct? Thanks again.

Back