• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Identification Pics

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
OK This axle is supposedly out of the front of a 2001 F-350 tell me guys what you think it is. Thanks

James

a023re2.jpg

6aa2re2.jpg

2ebbre2.jpg

9aedre2.jpg

5be8re2.jpg

P.S. I have not seen it in person to get any numbers that is why I am asking.

91 Jeep Project said:
Because the driver's side tube is about no existant. There is nothing to mount coil buckets, etc. to.
Tell me this, Will I have an issue with the angle of the driveshaft if I can make it work with where it is at? I am building a 4 link with coilovers so I can work around it. I guess my question is is this plausable or should I have the tube changed and if so what all does that require. WHat if I build a gusset for the entire top of the axle and build up from there? Thanks

James

JamesD said:
Tell me this, Will I have an issue with the angle of the driveshaft if I can make it work with where it is at? I am building a 4 link with coilovers so I can work around it. I guess my question is is this plausable or should I have the tube changed and if so what all does that require. WHat if I build a gusset for the entire top of the axle and build up from there? Thanks

James

if you have to ask you may not want to bother. if it were me i'd find an older d60 that had room to mount perches and links. once youve retubed the driver side as well as the passenger so the overall width stays the same ordered custom shafts to match, added the rest of the goodies (higher spline count shafts, locker, highsteer, link mount points etc) you may end up in the price range of a ground up custom axle (dynatrac or currie) just my 2 cents but personally its a lot easire to use the housing as it comes, lot easier to find shafts for it

If I were able to work around the issue of having the pumpkin to one side can I still have a driveshaft that will work without major mod of driveline. Also are there higher spline axles available for this axle. I really appreciate the info. I picked it up cheap so I am trying to make it work.

JamesD said:
If I were able to work around the issue of having the pumpkin to one side can I still have a driveshaft that will work without major mod of driveline. Also are there higher spline axles available for this axle. I really appreciate the info. I picked it up cheap so I am trying to make it work.

theres always higher spline axles, sometimes they just have to be custom. moser makes custom axles to your spline count and measurement, and i know detroit makes a high spline locker for the d60. if you picked it up on the cheep then more power to ya to make it work, cuz someday we'll all be tryin to make it work when those f250 d60's are fillin up the junkyards. also i think your driveline will work fine so long as the yoke doesn't bind, the axle should have hubs, most late model ford 60's do so you won't encounter vibes down to road because the front shaft wont be spinning, should you have to street it once or twice

Sweet! Thanks for the info and guidance. I picked it up for $100 so I am going to try to make it work. Let the high truss D60 build begin. :skull1:

2001 F-350 is a D-50, unless it's from a dually. I can't see your picture.

Check the BOM on the dana expert site, I'm 99% certain.

Have you opened it up and counted splines? That's the sure way to tell. 30 = Dana 50, 35 = Dana 60.

JamesD said:
Hmmm I have never run across that before. Are these axles any good or are they junk? Thanks

James

I wouldn't go to the trouble of installing a 30 spline Super Duty axle, they have the same basic strength as a Dana 44, with a lot more fitment hassle.

If it's a D-60, it would be worth it to me. High steer arms are available, as are gears and lockers. The unit bearings and ball joints are OK for up to 38" tires, on a sub 5k# vehicle.

I'd run the BOM on it or open it up to be sure of what you have.

I can't see the pic so I'll just guess.

http://www.tricountygear.com/ is selling 35 spline ARB's for the 50. Put that in and the only thing you'll be giving up on the D60 is some ring gear strength. Yukon makes gears for the D50 down to 5.38's.

On the super duty housing the outter knuckle and unit bearing are the same. Currie is the only one I know about setting the knuckles up for high steering but maybe Crash has some more info on that.

The super duties do have a weird bolt pattern. I believe it is 8x170mm and are hub centric. They can be redrilled to a 8x6.5 or even turned down some a little and drilled to the 5x5.5 or 6x5.5. 16" or larger wheels are manditory unless you figure out something for the brakes. Currie makes kits to mount a willwood caliper to the F-450 knuckles but they won't work on the D50 and D60 style knuckle. From what I could find the F450 knuckle has the stock caliper mounts spread much further apart (big brakes) and the willwood will fit between them. Currie also sells aluminum knuckles that are setup for smaller brakes and high steer arms.

Crash, those must be Cali specials. I have never seen an F-350 super duty with a D50 in it. The F-250's were the only ones and at some point the only ones with the D50 in it were the small block pickups. Dad's '04 F-250 has a D60 in the front of it.

91 Jeep Project said:
About useless, unless you want to partially retube.
Wrong.

34485%3A%3A323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2344%3D739%3D%3A78%3DXROQDF%3E2323%3A6%3A5438%3B8ot1lsi

....... :D

Lincoln said:
Crash, those must be Cali specials. I have never seen an F-350 super duty with a D50 in it. The F-250's were the only ones and at some point the only ones with the D50 in it were the small block pickups. Dad's '04 F-250 has a D60 in the front of it.

Non-dually F350's got a D-50 up to 2001. 60 was an option.

I just talked to tri country and they said that the outers are 30 in the D50 and ARB made the 35 spline locker for them on a specialty deal and there are only three made EVER LOL. I guess I am going to try and sweet talk ARB into it.

JamesD said:
I just talked to tri country and they said that the outers are 30 in the D50 and ARB made the 35 spline locker for them on a specialty deal and there are only three made EVER LOL. I guess I am going to try and sweet talk ARB into it.

Seems like a lot of work, why not just buy a pre Sup Duty 60?

Back