• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axel help please

8.8 is beefier, but either one can be better than the other with a little work.

if he's lazy, its a free disc swap, he might be able to turn a profit on it... the 44 is noob gold...

i cant stress this enough, but you gotta read around to figure out your situation.

asking questions will get you nowhere, untill you learn to spend an hour a night reading mod tech, getting a grasp of the situation in the process..

okay wait. your selling a Dana 44, to swap in a 8.8?
I agree, it it stupid.

and. false. the dana 44 is one of the most common axles on the market. while the 8.8 is not.

Parts for the D44 are far more readily available, it sounds like you read that artical on JU and got your hopes up. but considering you already have a dana44 your just jumping onto a failboat.
Agreed.

whatever i did it with no help from you guys.it's sad some people acually come on here for information,regardless of what you guy's think is better. there is a reason people want other stuff in their vehicle.

whatever i did it with no help from you guys.it's sad some people acually come on here for information,regardless of what you guy's think is better. there is a reason people want other stuff in their vehicle.
cool, awesome.. the 8.8 is a good axle.. but selling a dana 44 to swap in an 8.8 was a little.. okay, alot retarded.

:yelclap:

if you were going from a dana 35, to a new axle, and dana 44's were hard to come by, then yes, the 8.8 is a good option. but you just sold 3lbs of gold to buy 4lbs of silver. :dunno:

I might take you more seriously if you (a) knew what you were talking about or (b) knew how to use punctuation.

What's this "reason" people want "other stuff" in their vehicle? I don't really see any reason for the swap you just did either. If you just want to mess around and change stuff for the fun of it... ok... good enough for me. But don't stomp off in a huff and act like you had technical justification for it.

EDIT: ROFL coming back and trying to sell the same axle in another thread makes me wonder if maybe you should have kept the d44 :D

Last edited:
i still have both axles dbag and 8.8 is stronger you can run a larger tire with the axle locked without breakage
Hey, no need for name calling, if your happy, then your happy..
I never said the 8.8 was not a good axle. it is strong, i do agree with you!

;)

this is exactly the reason for the 8.8 .....thx wishihad

"just realized this thread was bumped...but ill throw in my 2 cents

i wheel an 8.8 rear and 44 front on 38s. so as far as being bias towards either...well i run both

i went with an 8.8 for a lot of reasons. i could find them far cheaper then any other 44. especially XJ 44s. thats not the case in this thread, so we can throw that out

but on the 3rd page there was a axle strength chart which IMO says a lot with the 8.8 being nearly as strong as a 60, and far stronger then the 44.

ring and pinion are bigger, along with carrier, and tubes. they come stock with disk brakes, and IMO c-clips aren't an issue. a lot of people for some reason like to being up c-clips being an issue of "weaking the shaft" first off thats false as where the c-clips are you could reduce the size of the shaft to a toothpick and it wouldn't have any effect on them as they are inside of the splines.

c-clips have a bad rep from D35s IMO and the shaft walking out of the housing after it breaks. will ive beat the snot out of my 8.8 for over a year on 38s locked with stock shafts, so i think that "con" can be thrown out.

as far as aftermarket support goes, i haven't found 1 product available for a 44, that i couldn't get for a 8.8, from lockers to shafts, to upgrading shaft size. pretty much same support.

welding the carrier to the tubes. well if your too lazy to take 30 seconds to do a job that should be done on any rear end swap, well your over your head already

this isn't a knock on the XJ 44, as i know they ARE stout rears. and if you can get one for cheap with the correct gears, then sure run it. "

this is exactly the reason for the 8.8 .....thx wishihad

"just realized this thread was bumped...but ill throw in my 2 cents

i wheel an 8.8 rear and 44 front on 38s. so as far as being bias towards either...well i run both

i went with an 8.8 for a lot of reasons. i could find them far cheaper then any other 44. especially XJ 44s. thats not the case in this thread, so we can throw that out

but on the 3rd page there was a axle strength chart which IMO says a lot with the 8.8 being nearly as strong as a 60, and far stronger then the 44.

ring and pinion are bigger, along with carrier, and tubes. they come stock with disk brakes, and IMO c-clips aren't an issue. a lot of people for some reason like to being up c-clips being an issue of "weaking the shaft" first off thats false as where the c-clips are you could reduce the size of the shaft to a toothpick and it wouldn't have any effect on them as they are inside of the splines.

c-clips have a bad rep from D35s IMO and the shaft walking out of the housing after it breaks. will ive beat the snot out of my 8.8 for over a year on 38s locked with stock shafts, so i think that "con" can be thrown out.

as far as aftermarket support goes, i haven't found 1 product available for a 44, that i couldn't get for a 8.8, from lockers to shafts, to upgrading shaft size. pretty much same support.

welding the carrier to the tubes. well if your too lazy to take 30 seconds to do a job that should be done on any rear end swap, well your over your head already

this isn't a knock on the XJ 44, as i know they ARE stout rears. and if you can get one for cheap with the correct gears, then sure run it. "
dude, give it up. going with the 8.8 was not a "Bad choice" it IS a good axle (for the 20th time!) nobody has said the 8.8 was not a good axle..

there is just not many people that would sell a Dana 44 and swap an 8.8 in! I am one of them! whats the point? if your going to ditch a perfectly good Dana 44. then atleast put the work you did, into an ACTUAL upgrade over the d44! and if you really believe that swapping a d44 out for an 8.8 is an upgrade, then im sorry, its my opinion that your wrong..

there is just not many people that would sell a Dana 44 and swap an 8.8 in! I am one of them! whats the point? if your going to ditch a perfectly good Dana 44. then atleast put the work you did, into an ACTUAL upgrade over the d44! and if you really believe that swapping a d44 out for an 8.8 is an upgrade, then im sorry, its my opinion that your wrong..
X2. I would not even think about switching my D44 out for an 8.8, it doesn't really make sense.

Yes, there is a reason people want other stuff in their vehicle, and there is also a reason why everyone was saying don't bother. We try to save people from making bad choices, such as putting unsafe parts on their vehicles, putting weak parts in, or from spending money on a swap for no real reason.

Its sad when some people come here for information, and when they get it, they discount it and get all mad at everyone because they're too stubborn and think no one knows anything because everyone didn't tell them their idea was a good one.

so i think that "con" can be thrown out.
Naw, just because you think a con can be thrown out, doesn't actually mean it can be thrown out.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what that statement was.
You do realize that this completely contradicts everything you've said? You are saying that a D44 is a strong rear and if someone can get it cheap, good, use it. Yet you, who already had one, are getting rid of it? Do as I say not as I do?

true but it depends on the tire you want to run.if ur saying a d44 with 36and over tires and it being locked up is a good axle.then ur wrong.
the same with an 8.8 man! both of these axles will handle 35"s the same. Lock them up with stock shafts and they will handle a good beating, but eventually they both will give up!.. do you know what happens when an 8.8 shaft breaks? its alot more ugly then when a d44 breaks thats for sure!

Niether one of these axle should be ran on stock shafts, with larger then 35" tires. but there is great upgrades for both, alloy shafts, both axles can be upgraded to 35splines. Arb's...

The problem is, You read that artical on Jeepsunlimited, and while it IS helpful on how to swap an 8.8. into a jeep, it is ALSO deceiving. that artical polishes the goods and sweeps the bads under the table.

Seriously, if you like your axle. thats great, i considered one. i almost bought one, they are great axles, but i wouldnt dare tell someone they are "Superior" to the dana44. my dana 44 took 2 hours to swap in to be ready to run. it will handle the same abuse the 8.8 will, and i dont have to buy brake parts for 2 different makes and models. (lol)

so, give it up man, you chose the difficult route, and now you want me to believe you made a better decision. and in all honesty your just digging yourself a NoOb hole.

how can i say that? I have been there myself. im sure somebody can remember me saying the 8.8 was "30% stronger" lol

BLSFAN if you want a true opinion on how strong the 8.8 and 44 are when running on 38's then go to www.pirate4x4.com and post up there what you've done and see what they have to say. And how can you say you've wheeled a 44 front and 8.8 rear on 38's with stock shafts and no breakage, didn't you just get done doing the swap? I could run 38's on my stock 30/8.25 with stock shafts for one or two trips before they blew up. So being new to the group don't give the guys here crap that have tried and tested different axles, different setups, and diferent sized tires to gain their knowledge.

I'm confused, blsfan. You suddenly started posting in every 8.8 thread you could find, some insisting the axle is awesome, some asking if you should replace your 44 with it, and some others, hilariously, asking if anyone wants to buy your 8.8. Also necromancing threads about it. It's like you're obsessed with the 8.8 and must find a way to post in every thread you can find about it.

oh, and you called me a dbag... this may be true... but temper temper!

EDIT: hahahaha, I just found another thread where you're trying to sell your d44. What are you going to do, turn your XJ into a car sized Segway?

Last edited:
Back