• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax Men

Re: Axe Men

mudxj92 said:
no i totally understand it but i just don't like looking at it.
i think it kind of put a damper on cedar tree trail because all it used to be was tree's all around it.
x2

I love what they have done with the place. :(
P1010026.jpg

Thats a new road going straight through the trail by the way.

Re: Axe Men

Logging is a tremendous industry, wood being both extremely useful and one of the few renewable natural resources. But yeah, when a crew goes in and clear-cuts a big area, it does detract from the natural beauty of being out in the woods. Double-edged sword though, because without the logging and mining industries and their history of cutting roads into remote areas to bring out resources, we have no sport.

Great show through 1 episode, though. When does the next one air, or has it already?

Last night on HD Theatre (Dish Network) there was a show called Risk Takers. This episode focused on two loggers. One was in Eastern OR the other was based out of McMinnville. This show did an excellent job of talking about why they clear cut instead of selective cut. It has to do with the replant and planting more than was there originally and giving it all an equal chance to mature.

I didn't catch when the show was filmed, but all those trees that they show snapped off at mid hieght were from the hurricane force wind storm we had in the first week of dec. My nieghbor is a cutter and said that they will be logging just blow down trees around this area for at least 2 years. that storm sucked we didn't have power or out of town comms. for 5 days.

allen

I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. I have been trying to figure out where to move to after this current job expires. I had been thinking Colo, but now I'm leaning toward southern coastal Oregon. The forests look lush and awesome, and there are steelhead and salmon to be caught on the fly. Ax-Men was great though.

mjdriver said:
I didn't catch when the show was filmed, but all those trees that they show snapped off at mid hieght were from the hurricane force wind storm we had in the first week of dec. My nieghbor is a cutter and said that they will be logging just blow down trees around this area for at least 2 years. that storm sucked we didn't have power or out of town comms. for 5 days.

allen

The lack of out going calls floored me. I deal with a repair shop in Astoria and they drove out to use a celphone to order parts. Of course replacing the roof on the owner's house was more important than the parts....

the amount of trees down was nuts too. you would think the coast that gets a lot of regular wind storms wouldn't have too much trouble, but we had 200 trees down across the highway between astoria and seaside(about 13 miles).

mjdriver said:
the amount of trees down was nuts too. you would think the coast that gets a lot of regular wind storms wouldn't have too much trouble, but we had 200 trees down across the highway between astoria and seaside(about 13 miles).

Wow I thought woodinville had it bad in December of 06. On a mile stretch of Woodinville Duvall rd there were about 20 trees down.

-Alex

god this show is funny. Almost all of the guys are the biggest rednecks I've ever seen, and a few of them had some serious lippers in!!!

Ha ha i love this show though..

Keil

I have seen the show, it's interesting.

I also live in the area where they were filming, saw the truck's from J.M. Browning all the time.

I also used to work for the Safeway Fuel Station in Astoria, Or, ran into ALOT of each companies crew and vehicles....

I saw more Jay Brownings crew more than any other.....

This is a pretty cool show, all my life i have lived in a small town built from the logging industry, and half of my freinds are loggers and i have never seen how its done (the whole logging part). I have seen everything from logs getting loaded on the trucks to what happens in the sawmill but never saw the actuall cutting and dragging up the hill process and running all the rigging and all that stuff.

Back