• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 max input torque?

I'm putting more than 300 torques in mine and it has over 230,000 miles on it.
They seem to live fine behind 800+ HP 7MGTEs, although that's a little different kind of torque.

A local transmission builder said that he has seen multiple AX15's break the in put shaft when put behind a medium build V8. If you aren't an animal and don't stomp on the throttle then it will last a lot longer than if you did.

The AX 15 is a good stick for the stock I6. Any REAL 5 speed upgrade would cost a ton. The NV 3550 is not much if any stronger (IMO). There are some nice "T" upgrade but they are not bolt-on and the really strong ones are few and far between.
Now if you talking 4 or even 3 speeds you have a lot most to chouse from.
Try this sight for more info on dropins and near dropin gear boxes.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-transmission-parts/

How much torque can you put into an AX-15 reliably? Or, what are they rated for?

I'm assuming it's under 300ft-lbs.

Probably about 350lbft 'cause I know of one that's been living behind an early Corvette LS1 in a TJ for quite a long time. My own AX15 has been living behind my 4.6 stroker (258rwtq or 311lbft flywheel) for 5 years and still shifts sweetly (knock on wood) after 228k miles.

I imagine an AX-15 will survive in my intended application. I just have to decided if it is the cost effective route, and if the gear splits on it will work well. I have one that is a slightly higher mileage unit, and is probably in okay shape. But I'll need basically 3 adapters to use it - a SAE #3 or 4 to GM one, then a GM to AX-15 bell housing, then a 3/4" spacer/clocking ring on the output side.

Hmm. This idea might be really expensive.

I think the NV3500 from a GM application will already have the GM bellhousing pattern and should have the same output as the Jeep NV3550.

It's rated for 300ft-lbs on the dot. Not sure if I trust it to survive 275-280ft-lbs continuous (at 1800rpm for that matter). It would have the bell housing that would bolt up to the other adapter... I think GM used a different spline output though (32 maybe?), but perhaps I should look it up.

How would the NSG370 6spd compare to the AX-15? I think I read of a couple people trying it TJs, why couldnt someone do it in an XJ? It would take a lot of fab work, but would it be worth it?

How would the NSG370 6spd compare to the AX-15? I think I read of a couple people trying it TJs, why couldnt someone do it in an XJ? It would take a lot of fab work, but would it be worth it?

What kind of fab work? It was put behind the 4.0L in a TJ, so it should bolt right up in a TJ. The tranny mount would have to be fabricated, but everything else should be fairly straight forward.

No. The 4.0/stroker has a broad spread of torque so there'd be no advantage in having the NSG370 over the AX15 unless you badly need that granny-low 1st gear for rockcrawling.

However, it might work well for me since my engine governs out at about 2900rpm, and has destructive harmonics at about 3400. Of course, it makes plenty of torque across the whole of the rather limited rpm range, so it actually wouldn't be needed.

But the question would remain then... Would it handle the torque?

(Not that I'd even be able to buy one, I'm owned on the availability of 'modern' goodies that came from the factory.)

It's rated for 300ft-lbs on the dot. Not sure if I trust it to survive 275-280ft-lbs continuous (at 1800rpm for that matter). It would have the bell housing that would bolt up to the other adapter... I think GM used a different spline output though (32 maybe?), but perhaps I should look it up.

The Jeep NV3550 is used behind the VM 2.5 CRD in the KJ. The engine torque output is ~270 ft-lbs. Thats factory. If Jeep engineers threw the NV3550 behind a diesel engine with 270 ft-lbs at whatever low RPM it tops out at and expected it to last any length of time I suspect it will be fine running ~275-280.

The Jeep NV3550 is used behind the VM 2.5 CRD in the KJ. The engine torque output is ~270 ft-lbs. Thats factory. If Jeep engineers threw the NV3550 behind a diesel engine with 270 ft-lbs at whatever low RPM it tops out at and expected it to last any length of time I suspect it will be fine running ~275-280.

A CRD probably out-revs my clanker. But that is a good point. I might have to hit up the libby forums and see if any of them drive them hard enough to blow their trans up. After all, they did use a BA10/5 Peugeot behind the 4.0L in the past, so I have little faith in some of the 'engineering decisions' of the Jeep brand.

Actually, the only offered automatics in the states, and apparently the 545RFE is a POS at that. I will have to look abroad.

Last edited:
A CRD probably out-revs my clanker. But that is a good point. I might have to hit up the libby forums and see if any of them drive them hard enough to blow their trans up. After all, they did use a BA10/5 Peugeot behind the 4.0L in the past, so I have little faith in some of the 'engineering decisions' of the Jeep brand.

Actually, the only offered automatics in the states, and apparently the 545RFE is a POS at that. I will have to look abroad.

Correct, only autos in the US. Though the 545RFE is fine, its the torque converter used which doesn't hold up to the torque of the diesel engine.

I have not seen any Jeep owners abroad ever having trouble with the manual trans.

It sounds like the NV3500 is a good choice for you. I think it will be plenty strong for what you want, and should be pretty plentiful.

Back