• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 gets extremely hot at freeway speeds

Over the years I have tried the Chrysler AX15 OEM gearlube, Redline MT90, MTL, Mobil synthetic gearlube and the GM Synchromesh. The smoothest shifting has come from the GM Synchromesh so that is what I have continued to use for the past 5 years.

Well everyone I Appreciate the help. I went with redline mt90 and just finished topping it off. Ill check back in later with an update

No luck. My trans still gets hot.

But what is worse is that I am having trouble getting into gear now. It seems that as soon as the fluid gets warmed up it won't go into gear once I am stopped. Also, when I am stopped in 4 lo with the clutch in, when I push the clutch into first gear it tries to begin moving forward. I can feel the jeep start to move forward even when it won't let me into first gear. As soon as I hit the syncros I start moving slightly.

Any ideas? Lighter fluid? Heavier?

MT90 seems to work for many, it shouldn't be your problem. It sounds like you may have a worn clutch - how old is it?
I've been using Pennzoil Synchromesh for nearly 250K miles with zero problems. I have no carpet and the floor hits 160 degrees in summer, and it always has without issue.

Forgot to mention that the clutch is good and grabs strong.

I haven't had this problem until recently which is why I'm concerned.

Forgot to mention that the clutch is good and grabs strong.

I haven't had this problem until recently which is why I'm concerned.

If the vehicle moves forward when you shift into low with the clutch pedal depressed then something is wrong with your clutch.

Likely the hydraulics--either the master or slave is bypassing fluid and your clutch is not staying dis-engaged.

Joe's got the right suggestion, I should have responded better than 'worn clutch', when I was thinking the clutch isn't fully releasing. You can check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder - there may be a leak.

Alright. Ill check around for a leak and maybe ill try to figure out how to bleed it.

What gets me is that I never had a problem until I changed the trans fluid to MT90. Unless my clutch decided to crap out on me at the exact moment I changed the trans fluid, I don't see how the clutch could be the problem.

Alright. Ill check around for a leak and maybe ill try to figure out how to bleed it.

What gets me is that I never had a problem until I changed the trans fluid to MT90. Unless my clutch decided to crap out on me at the exact moment I changed the trans fluid, I don't see how the clutch could be the problem.

Your skeptical, understandably, but what is moving your vehicle forward with the clutch disengaged is POWER TRANSFER from the engine--in other words, your clutch is not fully disengaged.

You could fill your transmission with just about anything, there will be no power transfer to the transmission without some clutch engagement.

Good luck.

Have you made 110% sure there is no exhaust leak blowing on the transmission?

I had a bad flange donut leaking exhaust onto my engine block that 2 muffler shops missed for 2 years.

Have you made 110% sure there is no exhaust leak blowing on the transmission?

I had a bad flange donut leaking exhaust onto my engine block that 2 muffler shops missed for 2 years.

I'm sorry if I missed something, but how would an exhaust leak cause the problems I am having?

I'm sorry if I missed something, but how would an exhaust leak cause the problems I am having?
It would overheat the transmission if it is blowing directly on the transmission case or bell housing.

Back