• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

awesomely stupid question...

You can drive straight all day long on 4hi or lo on dry pavement... THe problem is when ya turn sharp... Thats when stuff binds up... Hell I don't care... My girls brother goes with us and he's 16, He's got a 92 on 34s

XJ98Jeep said:
Yep, the main reason I was asking was I remember someone talking about how they shifted into 4-something awhile back at a gas station, drove forward about a foot, and heard a BANG. I never got around to checking on what the general consensus on damage was, but BANG can only be but so good.

Yep, that was over here.

But consensus? Bah, we never form a consensus...

I still say it's a bad idea, it accomplishes nothing and risks a lot...

Robert

4lo lauches on dry pavement.......ahhhhhh.......better than sex.

Lol I usually like to go around 70 in 4th gear, not 30. But the rain idea sounds pretty curious, might have to try it out in the next hurricane-scale thunderstorm. Does it hinder gas mileage noticabley? 2-3 mpg i could care less but if it's really detremental I'll just drive slower lol.

Contrary to popular belief, your NP231 equiped Jeep will not suddenly self destruct if its driven on pavement in 4WD. Anyone who has been to Moab or any other places where slick rock (which is not slick but actually offers better traction than Asphalt) will testify that your drivetrain will not instantly go BANG. It will bind, handle like crap, make bad noises, hip and hop around and prematurely wear out, but will probably not explode. Im not recommending that you drive around in 4WD all day because its surely not good for your Jeep and its not designed for that, but its not going to tear it in half either.

Ray H said:
Contrary to popular belief, your NP231 equiped Jeep will not suddenly self destruct if its driven on pavement in 4WD. Anyone who has been to Moab or any other places where slick rock (which is not slick but actually offers better traction than Asphalt) will testify that your drivetrain will not instantly go BANG. It will bind, handle like crap, make bad noises, hip and hop around and prematurely wear out, but will probably not explode. Im not recommending that you drive around in 4WD all day because its surely not good for your Jeep and its not designed for that, but its not going to tear it in half either.

moab = slow speeds tho, like 10-15 tops on the smooth parts, I don't think the NP231 would appreciate high speed pavement/slickrock in 4x4 for too long

the only time I use 4x on the street is in the rain when I need to jump out infront of traffic at a busy intersection, as soon as I'm around the corner and up to speed I let off the go-pedal and push it back to 2x ASAP

XJ98Jeep said:
Basically, I'm ok to use 4wd on the street as long as I don't go crazy? Or turn too much?

No. Your differentials allow different amounts of travel between wheels, from side to side. When making a left hand turn, the passenger side has to go a greater distance than the drivers side. The same thing happens in relation to the front and rear axles. The front axle goes a shorter distance than the rear axle.

With a part time case (i.e. 231) the front and rear axles are "locked" together, and if you try to drive on dry pavement, in 4WD, you will get binding in the transfer case. It may not explode on you the first time you try it, but you will cause yourself grief.

Again, why do you want to drive in 4WD on dry pavement?

he DONT want to drive on dry pavement! pavement was only used as an example! He ORIGINALLY wanted to know how slippery a slippery surface was SUPPOSED to be to drive in 4wd... LOL slippery surfaces are great!

Slippery surface--one that doesn't restrain all 4 tires at the same time, constantly:dunno:

Pavement during a pouring rain? probably ok.
Rock with crumbling surface? OK
Dry black top? NO-NO

Variances in tire od's, and gear ratios front to rear result in binding, if at least one tire doesn't occasionally break loose, relieving the tension.
Generally, gear ratios are equal, front to rear--but some times fronts may be 4.10, while rear may be 4.11--not in stock form, though. this can happen with axle changes, for which exact ratios are not available.

Back