• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Valvoline HIGH MILEAGE Fluid

asdfghjkll

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and can not find the answer I am looking for (lots of posts regarding AW4 fluid).

Question: Does (or has) anyone use the Valvoline HIGH MILEAGE Dex/Merc Transmission Fluid in their AW4?

I have read where some (not all) people have noticed problems with FULL SYNTHETIC fluid, and I think the Valvoline High Mileage fluid is semi synthetic.

On the bottle it states it exceeds Dex/Merc III requirements.

Thanks

2001 XJ with 188,000 miles

just use normal fluid. Transmission fluid already has to meet stringent specs to be in the right class anyway. Run Normal valvoline or castrol and be done with it.

I would steer way clear of the synthetics on the AW4! Make sure is Dex III.

The dealership topped off my Cherokee with ATF+4, during a maintenance inspection....because that is all they stock now. I'm was going to do a poor man's flush a couple times with the Valvoline Dex/Merc. I was told that it is OK to use ATF+4 with Dexron lll because it is synthetic and won't cause a problem. It is the dino oil ATF+3 that will kill my tranny if mixed with Dex. Or should I get just get it flushed ??

Just topped off, there isn't enough in to hurt. If the did more than that, I would flush it. BTW, they are supposed to stock both fluids. If you still had a warranty on it, and it failed, that would be there fault and their dime to replace it....

ATF+4 is used in the new products and the infamous A604/41TE trans-axles. NOT the AW4, which we already know.....

Just topped off, there isn't enough in to hurt. If the did more than that, I would flush it. BTW, they are supposed to stock both fluids. If you still had a warranty on it, and it failed, that would be there fault and their dime to replace it....

ATF+4 is used in the new products and the infamous A604/41TE trans-axles. NOT the AW4, which we already know.....

Chrysler put out a TSB not too long ago, stating that ATf4+ is the recommended fluid for the AW4. It's a revised version of the TSB that previously excluded the AW4 from the list. Most folks here, think that is was more of a supply and stocking issue, rather than actually being a good replacement. The two fluids have fairly different coefficients of friction - which happens to be why Chrysler trannies tend to die quickly when you accidentally put in Dexron.

Not on the AW4. Dexron 3 is the highest you can use on it, and anything below.

No ATF or D4 in the AW4!

!!!1 Yeah ok, I have been running +4 for over a year now with nothing but good results!! To each his own!! I also run the Bosch plugs that everyone says suck......they work great for me!! Go figure more :bs:
Your heep your decision!!

I also run the Bosch plugs that everyone says suck......they work great for me!!
Sorry for straying off topic. I have been running single electrode Bosch Platinums in my propane fueled '93 for eight years. They are the only plugs that would not misfire on propane and they last about 50,000 miles.

!!!1 Yeah ok, I have been running +4 for over a year now with nothing but good results!! To each his own!! I also run the Bosch plugs that everyone says suck......they work great for me!! Go figure more :bs:
Your heep your decision!!

Several people have posted that ATf+4 either caused slipping problems. Perhaps they already had problems and the fluid change just accelerated the problem. On the flip side, you probably won't see people posting if they did not have a problem with the swap. It's the "old 1 satisfied custoemer will tell another, but a pissed off customer will tell 100" adage.

As for me, I'm skeptical simply because of the differences in the fluids, so I'm sticking with what I know works just fine in my tranny. BTW, what does Toyota recommend for this tranny now?

Back