• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 took a puke!

"the only time I've had issues with an aw4 was when I put synthetic in it to test the theory. ended up cooking the tranny so bad that I lost all gears unless going downhill. use dexron atf +3 or +4"

uh, atf +4 is a full synthetic.

& sanity is overrated.

huh. bad advice usually happens when I take my prescribed medication to tone down the pain. forgive me for putting the atf+4 in there, I don't know what I was thinking.

I run atf+ 3 dexron/mercron in the parts master brand. cheap, easy, and I trust bumper to bumper quality.

I run synthetic in everything I can, but not in the AW4. I have heard of transmission failures shortly after people switch to synthetics on the AW4. ATF+4 (Or +3) has no business in the AW4 either.

Mercon III is the only thing I use I tried the synth and it was crap made my transmission shift horrible and heat way up...

themud
I have the same hills as you RCP its just about luck sometimes but I use only the factory specd tranny fluid...
I was thinking more about the rest of the U.S.(like Colorado) towing my 3000# trailer!

Sooooo

Back to the OP

I have had this same issue with my AW4 pukeing out the front. Had it rebiult twice, added more cooler. It still happens everyonce and awhile. I expected it this weekend with outside temps over 100 going up grades (I15) but it did not, still have not figured out why it does it, but the fluid is not burnt, trans temp is not over 220 adn after it pukes awhile it stops. I have done this drive with it smoking the whole way, (about an hour) then get to the dez and it works fine all weekend and back home. Hoping it would blow up and I could find the problem.
One of the rebuilds it was mentioned that there was a service alert about redrilling the drain back hole to a larger size that the area between the pump and the front seal will get to much fliud and not be able to drain back to the trans and it has to go out the front. I was hoping others had this problem and found a fix.

lets get this pissing match back on topic.

i have the same problem with my AW4. Im hoping to fix it here in the next week. im going to replace the front pump seal, and install a tranny cooler. i was thinking it was just because i used to run 35s on stock gears which got the tranny hot quick, but now even with 5:13s it still does it.

that leak combined with a rear main seal leak, makes for very smoky trips at times. tis going to be a very busy weekend

Out of Curiousity, What kind of Tranny Cooler and Setup are you Planning to Do?

wow, thanx guys for the advice. Looks like I'll be doing a tranny service this weekend.

XJJack, seems yours is the same as mine. I've been driving it around for a couple days since I got back, and I've seen nary a drop on the ground under it.

wishihad1, by all means, please let us know how that goes for ya.

RCP Phx, yes, I will be getting some gears.

what do you guys think? 4.10, or taller? I really don't do much rock crawling, mostly just trail driving, and I'll be doing a bunch of snow driving now that I'm going to be in colorado.

For 33s.... 4.10s for the Daily Driver, Best Overall Performance, 4.88s if Long Hills are in Order. If I Remember Right D30s can only go that Tall in Gear Size. I may be Wrong. IMHO

wow, thanx guys for the advice. Looks like I'll be doing a tranny service this weekend.

XJJack, seems yours is the same as mine. I've been driving it around for a couple days since I got back, and I've seen nary a drop on the ground under it.

wishihad1, by all means, please let us know how that goes for ya.

RCP Phx, yes, I will be getting some gears.

what do you guys think? 4.10, or taller? I really don't do much rock crawling, mostly just trail driving, and I'll be doing a bunch of snow driving now that I'm going to be in colorado.

With hills i would do 4.56's no less maybe 4.88's but the pinion get super tiny like I wouldn't run it small unless you don't wheel hard in the rocks then you can get away with it....

I did 4.56's and 33's and it was great good combo between milage and power and trail ability if you are thinking about 35's just do the 4.88's but know that increases your chances of nuking the ring and pinion I know this one for a fact but you have to play hard in the rocks..

I'm at 4.10's on 33's with 6.5" lift. working on trimming this week to go up to 35's. at that point, it will get a 44 front and 9" rear when I have time/$ to link the rear and purchase the axles. then it will be running 5.13 gearing

but, as a d/d, it does just fine with 4.10's and 33" tires. I keep up with traffic very well, it has plenty of balls (though the motor is as built as it can get without going full stroker, so I'd expect that regardless), and I don't have any issues with the tranny overheating. it maintains a constant 210-230 degrees depending on traffic (have tranny temp. gauge installed). my floor gets extremely hot with no carpet, but I attribute that to the borla header and exhaust.

realistically 4.56's would be best for road driving. 4.10's would be more common at the junkyard as a factory option. most likely in a 4 cylinder 5 speed or 4 cyl auto.

Back