• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to AX15 swap ECU / TCU question

Glad you got the trans all fresh and ready to go. Sorry, I do not know the length/thread pitch of the flywheel bolts. I would think if you look up flywheel bolts for a 4.0 HO on Summit or something they will work.

I have a quick question.

I did the aw4 to ax15 swap on my 97 xj. I used Char-Broil's write up, it was the thing that held my hand as i embarked on this big task.

Any way every thing is great, im at my last step, which is smog.

I have the aw4 TCU in place and have my NSS (B and C) wired together.
I still have my aw4 ECU
I still have my check engine light.

I removed the silinoids from the aw4 and screwed them to my fire wall and plugged the harness where it was in my engine to see if maybe I can get them grounded so the computer still thinks they are there,

I am just trying what ever I can to get my codes to go away to pass smog, it will be a while until i can order my new ECU for a manual.

has anyone been able to trick this aw4 ecu and tcu into thinking that all is well?

I've tried and gotten pretty close. Interesting that you were unable to fool a 97 with only the OSS, I figured those would fool easier than a 98 up with both OSS and ISS. What codes are you getting? I would bet on a missing output speed sensor code, maybe a P0705 NSS code, and perhaps some shift solenoid malfunction/performance codes (P0751, P0756, etc.)

I never got anywhere with that, just ended up buying the new ECU and everything was fine. I actually still have the TCU installed it doesn't really matter because the Manual Trans ECU is not looking for it.

Yeah I got all the nice 700 series codes, I got rid of the silenoid codes by grounding them out. But now I have the PRND123 code coming up.

I will have to just order my computer, I hate driving a jerry rigged vehicle anyway, there is always something off.

I have yet to find a peddle assembly for a 97 manual, will be heaven cause my cylinder rod extension is bending on me, cant take the abuse.

Here is one question, if my rod is at the proper length, is it normal for me to have o put the peddle all the way to the floor to fully engage the clutch?
is this a sign of the line needing proper bleeding, not enough fluid?

any one?

grounding them out is NOT the right way to do it! You may well burn out your transmission computer doing that... not that you care at this point. Basically you're shorting 12 volt power to ground through the solenoid controllers. If you are going to do something like that, use 1000 ohm 1+ watt (or 100 ohm 3+ watt) resistors to ground instead.

Ordering the computer is the right choice, though you could probably rig something up that would put the proper signals into the NSS inputs on the TCU via sensors on the shift forks of the manual trans if you really wanted to mess with it... it would be way too much work and probably cost more in parts than the computer will.

I was wondering how much that swap cost and how difficult the transmission part was... I have a 1998 Cherokee with the 4.0L/AW4/NP231 and want to swap the AX-15 into mine... I'm going to school at the moment so i wouldn't be able to do it for awhile, but I would like to have some idea of how much it'd cost me when I do get around to doing it...

Back