• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting problem

this same exact conversation comes up EVERYTIME someone mentions an aw4 that 'wont shift'... its sad, and lame...

if the aw4 was dry... the tranny wouldnt 'catch'... you'd floor it.. and it'd feel like it was in neutral, or BARELY any 'catch'.... you go nowhere...

the 'wont shift' issues involve the shifting, ie, it'll drive OK in 1, but when it gets to where it'd normally shift... it wont, it'll hang up high in the revs... if you can shift it manually, it indicates grounds or tcu, as the solenoids do the shifting.

ive heard the solenoids arent that hard to change out, but ive never done it, and wouldnt want to do it on the vehicle.

You can also have a TPS issue. If you TPS is broke, then the tranny won't shift at the right times.

Also, you could have a wiring/connection problem. There's a few more things than just the TCM and the grounds. That's why the idea is to read that linked document and post your results.

ive heard the solenoids arent that hard to change out, but ive never done it, and wouldnt want to do it on the vehicle.

They are indeed easy to change out, and easy to do with the tranny in the vehicle. You drop the pan and filter, and the solenoids are right there on the bottom and only have 1 bolt each to remove.

Any pictures yet bigalpha? They would help me out TREMENDOUSLY! ;)

I did manage to change the transmission fluid and filter yesterday (as well as engine oil change). My old tranny fluid was darker than the old engine oil!

I'm still having the shifting problem, although now it is intermittent... the day before I changed the tranny fluid, the tranny decided to start working normally, whilst in Drive it would shift into first from a dead stop! Great success! Even though I did nothing! lol.

It didn't last long though.

I've bought myself a digital multimeter, but still a little lost, so a write-up with pictures would be incredibly helpful :)

Sorry no pics or write-up.

The guy I'm getting the solenoids from (bill_j) has been stringing me along and I still haven't gotten them.

I'll post some pics and such when I get some solenoids.

Its most likely solenoids..mine has been doing this randomly for quite a while-also it will sometimes not drop into first if i try, or it will drop into first well above the 25mph setting. But yeah, most likely the solenoids. Its fricking freezing in Ohio so I'm gonna hold off till spring.

I had similar issues. Mine turned out to be a faulty valve body. It had a hair line crack in it. I was able to get a reman for $125. I am sure you can find one at a salvage yard. I did replace the solenoid pack before the valve body. It fixed it for about 3 days but the problem returned. Different valve body cured my probs.

Its most likely solenoids..mine has been doing this randomly for quite a while-also it will sometimes not drop into first if i try, or it will drop into first well above the 25mph setting. But yeah, most likely the solenoids. Its fricking freezing in Ohio so I'm gonna hold off till spring.

Have you gone through the document posted here and record your results? It could be a problem that's not in your tranny, i.e. TPS.

I will be changing the solenoids in a buddys aw4 in the next 3 weeks. If BigAlpha is unable to do a write up on it, I will.

:)

John

Hey, I'm down with that too ... do a write-up on it and submit it.

Have you gone through the document posted here and record your results? It could be a problem that's not in your tranny, i.e. TPS.

Hey, I'm down with that too ... do a write-up on it and submit it.

Will do. He is supposed to have the money to pay me for the work in a few weeks, so I will post it up when I do it. :cheers:

JOhn

Getting in on this thread. My AW4 is throwing the CEL that relates to solenoids and likes to skip 2nd gear, and also gets funky when its under a lot of load (climbing hills, feels like its slipping etc)

I am downloading the pics as we speak. It went perfect and it solved his tranny problems.

Should I do a write up thread or just add it here?

JOhn

Getting in on this thread. My AW4 is throwing the CEL that relates to solenoids and likes to skip 2nd gear, and also gets funky when its under a lot of load (climbing hills, feels like its slipping etc)

if you have the sol 2 fault, i would change it. i had it on mine, changed the solenoid and all is fine. #2 is the solenoid by itself attached to the valve body, it is the same part as #1. if you can compare the coloring of the 2 solenoids, you may see #2 is darker and burnt up looking like mine did

i dont have an update but, i owned an 02 silverado and out of no where one time i lost first gear off of dead stops. i had to manually shift into 1st than once i had some rpms i could put it in drive "D". well i took it in and they took it apart and i had spun the first and second gear of drive. cost me 2500 bones!! might want to look into that? i hope thats not your problem tho.

Back