• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 search

ok so i went out and disconnected the tranny coooler lines and had my Gf start the jeep. the front line did not push anything out at all, meanwhile the rear line started leaking as soon as i disconected it. this would signify that i have a bad oil pump right? or could this still revolve around the possibility of a bad or unseated torque converter....
thanx guys...
Maier
edit:which raises another question would it be possible to buy a brand new oil pump or do i just try and recycle the old one of my old 2wd tranny?

Grifter144 said:
ok so i went out and disconnected the tranny coooler lines and had my Gf start the jeep. the front line did not push anything out at all, meanwhile the rear line started leaking as soon as i disconected it. this would signify that i have a bad oil pump right? or could this still revolve around the possibility of a bad or unseated torque converter....
thanx guys...
Maier
edit:which raises another question would it be possible to buy a brand new oil pump or do i just try and recycle the old one of my old 2wd tranny?

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/at/AT_044.html
Check that.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/at/AT_135.html
Step 27

Exploded view of the oil pump
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/at/AT_066.html

I'm still leaning to converter.

ok so it is possible that if the torque converter isn't seated properly then the oil pump would not function properly right?
storydude, thanx a bunch i owe you a beer sometime...
Maier
damn i'm going to be giving out alot of beer by the time this is over...
thanks guys its definalty worth it...

Atl XJ said:
This isnt your problem but the AW4 uses Dextron III
sorry man but i've got an owners manual for a 2000 that says ATf +3 and/or dexron II as well i also cross refernced with an buddies owners manual for his 2001 since this is a 01 tranny and it said AFT +4, then i've got people such as you swearing buy dexron III and then i've got a dealer that says ATF +4, and then i can run an aw4 search on the net and i get conflicting answers from all parties, so I went with the site that had testimonials to back up their claim and what appeared to be the common ground w/ my owners manual....ATF +3..so thats how i came to it...hopefully when i get this thing figured out it will all work out fine...thanks for the input though...
Maier
figured i would open a can of worms...

Grifter144 said:
sorry man but i've got an owners manual for a 2000 that says ATf +3 and/or dexron II as well i also cross refernced with an buddies owners manual for his 2001 since this is a 01 tranny and it said AFT +4, then i've got people such as you swearing buy dexron III and then i've got a dealer that says ATF +4, and then i can run an aw4 search on the net and i get conflicting answers from all parties, so I went with the site that had testimonials to back up their claim and what appeared to be the common ground w/ my owners manual....ATF +3..so thats how i came to it...hopefully when i get this thing figured out it will all work out fine...thanks for the input though...
Maier
figured i would open a can of worms...
Re-read that Owner's Manual...that's ATF+3 for the 4-cyl 30RH auto tranny and DEXRON-II for the AW-4. I've got the FSM sitting right in front of me and it specifically states "Jeep automatic transmission fluid or DEXRON II"

1996 owner's manual states the same.

Here's a hint for next time: don't use bolts to clamp together large assemblies that should fit up with no force, just finesse. And stay away from internal engine work.
Might save you a lot of headache in the future.

Grifter144 said:
ok so it is possible that if the torque converter isn't seated properly then the oil pump would not function properly right?
storydude, thanx a bunch i owe you a beer sometime...
Maier
damn i'm going to be giving out alot of beer by the time this is over...
thanks guys its definalty worth it...
Correct. The pump is driven by the innermost splines of the Torque converter.

jjacobs, i dont know where you got the idea i was using the bolts to force anything togather as of yet, of the four times i have dropped and removed/ reinstalled this tranny i have had it slide real nice like up to motor just the way it should, once its there, i start to bolt it together but not before. everything seems to mesh just fine....

yucca man, it would appear that you are right, although mine still refers to the use of mopar automatic tranny fluid in my aw4, so i'm going with what i have. if it goes, it goes, if not, screw it....my bad on semi misreading...

Story dude- thanks a bunch for the helpful manual, i will be pulling this thing as soon as i get back from this interveiw and then i'm going to try and measure that tc to ensure it is seated properly. if it is then i'm going to assume a bad pump and begin to think about conducting that work myself or farming it out.....thanks again man.....

well men we have success, i went out today, finally(rained all day yesterday and part of this morning) and got that new (used) tranny removed, first i set about measuring the tolerances of the torque converter under the impression that it was not set correctly, according to the manual story dude posted, from the front of the bellhousing to the torque converter surface should be 26.4 mm, i measured 28+mm, which confirmed my suspicians about the bad oil pump so we set about removing the oil pump from my old 2wd transmission (note my redneck ass was able to accomplish this with some set screws and a claw hammer), and then swapped the two, the BH to TC measurment then read in at a little over 27mm, i called it good and reinstalled the tranny...one prayer later, we hooked it up and filled her up fired up and walla, output shaft was turning, so i completed the 4wd conversion, i now just have to find the body side hanger for the t-case linkage, install my no slip when it comes on wednesday and we should be good to go. A huge thanks to all the guys that put up with my incesent questions and requests for help...Thanks again men, now about that beer.
Thanx Maier

awwwhhhh suck,
ok now that i done put my foot in my mouth and proclaimed it all done, grabbed the GF this morning and loaded up the jeep, to head out for church, this would be the maiden voyage of the 4wd, anyway i went in expecting some serious diferences from my 2wd (vibe wise), well what i have is horrible(off balance type) vibes and its only made worse by the fact that i have a serious amount of tranny fluid apparently draining out the front side of the tranny and getting slathered from the exhaust cross-over pipe(actually smokes as it burns off the pipe) all the way back, literally coating every inch of the tranny pan, and splattering all over the undercarriage when it hits the cross member, any easy fix / pinpoint ideas, i realize that i will most likely be dropping the tranny tomorrow...yippie here we go again...oh yea i'm positive it tfluid as its blood red....however on that note see works...well sorta...
Maier

story dude, you may be a genius, in my haste to reassemble i forgot to RVT it, i will have to pull it tomorrow, and do that, would that minor oversight really allow the tranny to leak that much fluid. there sure is alot of fluid flowing down there, guess i'll see when i pull it, getting rather good at this pulling crap, wish i had a way to bench test it.......
Maier....
hopefully that will fix this stinkin flood....

Last edited:
i know this is the thread that just wont die, bear with me hopefully i'll get this thing running soon(tomorrow), i finally got around to laying under the jeep and taking of the tranny cover starting her up and watching for leaks. sure enough it started sllooowwwly leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing, which tells me the front seal is gone or i need to put rvt around the oil pump, question is are there any other seals that i should replace on the front side of that tranny while i have it out, also how often and likely is it that the Torque Convetrer went bad(as this is my old one w/ 112,00miles on it) and is throwing fluid or something like that...thanx...Maier

Usually when everything else is working including the tranny, when a torque converter fails the car will move but at only very high RPM as if they never engaged together. It is gonna be highly unlikely that a modern TQ has failed after only 100k+ miles, tho not impossible.

I would drop it all again for the billionth time and RTV that pump seal and do it slowly and make sure everything is done well and you are in the mood for it ..otherwise you will forget something again. I know how it is i dropped mine a few times b4 i got it right when i did the conversion my biggest prob was getting the torqe converter seeted on the two notches.

Anyway similarly like i said give it another slow try. Good luck

pete

well men, i finally got around to dropping the tranny again today(finally had help), anyhoo i took the pump back off the tranny and RTV'ed it, also swapped the front seal on the pump/tranny neck, however when i removed the torque converter it appeared as if tranny fluid was floating back along the tranny neck out of the torque conveter and then getting thrown all over the bellhousing, also this time around the TC is like overfilled with tranny fluid the stuff was leaking out while i had it laying on its back, might i need a new TC...? thanx
Maier

Grifter144 said:
also this time around the TC is like overfilled with tranny fluid the stuff was leaking out while i had it laying on its back, might i need a new TC...? thanx
Maier

You mean that you had the TC laying down flat with the neck facing up and there's tranny fluid coming UP out of the neck, like it's overflowing just laying there? If so, that sounds kinda strange... It should've been 100% full when you pulled it off, minus the little that probably spillled when you pulled it. But it is a little weird to have it overflowing just sitting there...

yeah when i pulled it off the neck there was fluid running off the bottom of the tranny neck, then it layed the TC on its back and the fluid that was there sorta fell outta the notches on the tc throat and puddled up on the lower center section, about an hour ago i took it and stood it on its side and like half of the TC fluid drained out on the floor in front of me. this is the first time in all the times this week when i pulled the TC that there was that much excess fluid in it....seems to me when the vehicle is shut down the fluid should either stay in the tc or flow back out to the pan...kinda weird,
Maier
i think i'll just break down and buy a new one tomorrow for peace of mind sake...

Back