• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 revs up between shifts

uspsamaster

NAXJA Forum User
my little sisters 92 xj shifts slowly alowing it to rev up between gears, it also will not stay in OD on any thing but a down hill 3.55 axles 215X75X15 tires and a AW4. Do I need to be thinking of a new transmission or is there another possible solution?

Check the TPS, and if that is sound there is an adjustment cable that affects shifting also... It sounds a little more like the cable needs to be adjusted to me... But thats just because I know when I adjust mine too far one way it can make a pause between shifts that you described.

It very well might be slipping... Check the condition and level of the tranny fluid... If it is slipping, a top off, or drain and fill could be the cure... Use dex III for the fluid... Also, that adjustment cable does change the shift intervals, and therefor still might be the cause of the pausing and downshifting problem.

Back