• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 rebuild question

96cherokee40

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I am in the process of rebuilding my AW4 and have finished installing all of the rotating assembly. Per the manual, I have applied air pressure to the feed holes to confirm piston movement/clutch engagement. All of the pistons can be heard engaging the clutch packs, but I can hear blowby during testing of the direct clutch and forward clutch. I realize the pressure is maintained via seal rings on the overdrive support (pages 63 and 94 of the AW4 manual give a decent breakdown of what I am talking about), but I imagine that those soft seals were not designed to hold back all of the pressure. The rings are new and I imagine they may grow once exposed to tranny fluid for a period of time, though I did coat them generously with petro jelly.

Is this blowby okay/expected as long as the pistons are engaging? I had to apply 90 PSI of air pressure to get the desired engagement. Does anybody even know what I am talking about?

Wes

Are those rings the split rings on the shaft. When I rebuilt my tranny, I remember air escaping too when appling some of the clutches. I don't remember which ones since it was a few years ago, but I don't think it was leaking a tremendous amount of air or anything, just a hissing sound is all i remember. Maybe you can put some tranny fluid in the oil passage and then apply air and see if that holds pressure better. I wouldn't worry too much if you know that the piston in the clutch doesn't leak air.

Yes, those are the split rings. The pistons are definitely good too. I guess the only way to know for sure is to install it and see what happens. Hell, it's only 3 hours to take it back out again anyway. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

P.S. How did your rebuild turn out? And did you change anything (adjust the pressure regulator, shim the accumulators, etc) while you were in there?

Wes

Rebuild turned out just fine, it shifted normal, maybe not as firm as I would have liked, but nothing strange. I didn't make any modifications to the tranny, since it was my first rebuild. But I remember the first/reverse clutch pack was worn out. Make sure to take a few a good pictures when you have the valve body split, I remember it was tricky to figuring out where all the check balls were supposed to go.

Good Luck!

Ya I had a weak solenoid for a long time, causing my first/reverse pack to be just about gone. Some of the clutch discs had no material left on them! Thanks for the heads up.

Back