• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 rebuild parts source

XJ in Vegas

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up my XJ a few weeks ago. I think at one point the starter was loose and ground a spot on the flex plate. I'm pulling the transmission to replace the flex plate and while I have the transmission out I'll rebuild it. I found a few rebuild posts, but most of the links to the parts are dead. What is the best rebuild kit out there?

I did this several years ago. You need to acquire some special tools and get a case of brake cleaner. Got the raybestos kit from a supplier in Charlotte, NC. I have been working on cars or managing those that do almost my entire life but this was my first AT. Don't use rags to wipe parts off as any lint will find it's way to an oring or the valve body. Use the brake cleaner instead. Plan on replacing the solenoids. Always use a new torque converter. The website I got my parts from was wittrans.com.

Last edited:
I figure I spent around $600 including the special tools and brake cleaner. I have a shift reprogramming kit as well as made some adjustments recommended by a friend that has a transmission shop. Mine shifts better than it did stock with crisper shifts.

I'm a tech at a car dealership so I have access to transmission tools. I found a lot of different kits all over the internet. Some come with bands and others don't. The prices are all over the place. I'm new to Cherokee's and there is a thread on rebuilding everything on this sight except the transmission. Here's a few kits I found. I was hoping there was a go to kit everyone used.

http://www.amazon.com/A340-AW4-Overhaul-Rebuild-Frictions/dp/B0081H7HP0

http://www.winnerschoicetransmissio...3/Toyota-A340E-fdsh-F-AW4-Transmission/Detail

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A340.html

The kit I got from wittrans.com was complete except for the band which I ordered seperately. Had all the thrust washers and many sets of gaskets for all the different versions of this Trans.

I get everything I build with from A+Reds out of Nebraska. However I don't know if they sell to individuals. They are great guys who back every product they sell and have great technical support as well.

Unless you're having trouble with the thing shifting, I wouldn't go heavily into an overhaul "just because it's out."

Overhauls on the AW4 can be quirky - it's a mechanically simple box, but it can trap the neophyte.

However, a "reseal" kit, done with caution and attention to detail, shouldn't be too tricky - you don't pull the geartrain or friction sets apart, just drop the valve body to change its gaskets & filters, and change the body seals. It's also a much less expensive kit, you can usually source it from a local transmission shop (the AW4 is also the Toyota 30-40LE and A340H, so you'll have various valve body shell gaskets. Match up the ones you need, discard the rest. The seals and such shouldn't change, just specify it's for a 4WD version.)

Back