• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Problems Please help

thecozmo65

NAXJA Forum User
Started acting funny about a year and a half ago. It would stay in first for too long, delayed shift. That seemed to go away a few months ago. Then within the last month when I would start it up cold there was a buzzing that seemed to be comming from the bell housing or that general end of the tranny. Last weekend it quit all together. Driving down the road and all of a sudden it lets go engine would rev but either wouldnt move at all or would barely move. Figured torque converter. Dropped tranny and replaced converter and is still either not moving or just barely moving. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

How does the fluid look? Check the dipstick. Is it reddish?
Or dark brown or very dark red with maybe metallic glitter in the oil?

If the fluid is dark there's probably major damage in there.. ground up clutch disks etc... and unfortunately probably requires a rebuild.

If the oil looks good, who knows maybe it could just be something with the valve body or the solenoids.

How many miles have you put on that transmission?

MAP

Well when I drained it It was dark and smelled burnt. Provided that it is the original tranny it has 205000+ miles. When I first got the XJ it had 101000. Shortly after, one of the solenoids died and was replaced. It has had somewhat regular maintenance since I have owned it. Only towed once but it was from Alabama and back with a small uhaul.

thecozmo65 said:
...there was a buzzing that seemed to be comming from the bell housing or that general end of the tranny.

Based off of that, i would say front pump.

Did you ever replace that $145 wire that comes off the trans.? I just completely replace my trans. on my '93 XJ (previous owner thought that changing the trans. filter and fluid was a bad idea, ass clown), and car ran fine for a while, and then crapped out once again.

After gaining back my composure, went to Countryside's Jeep part dept., and asked the guy behind the counter what parts he's ever sold in conjuction with the XJ's trans., and pulled out that wire for my trans. Really can't recall what the name of it is, but I'm sure someone else will know the name of it. Hope that maybe my experience can help you out.

-Dan

Back