• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxilliary Gauges vs Stock

RoadHog_ZA

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am considering adding some aux gauges to my 2000 4.0L Auto.
I am definite on the trans temp gauge but wondering whether to go with
oil press and water temp. I guess the question here is how accurate and reliable the stock gauges are by comparison on the late models?
I have searched and read various threads indicating dissatisfaction with the early model units.
Also, what conditions would an oil temp gauge provide early warning of which the other gauges would not?
thanks in advance

For your OBDII things will be a little complicated. The CTS--coolant temperature sensor--in the thermostat housing feeds data to the PCM. It is the PCM that determines the signal sent to the temperature gauge in the IP.

So, to avoid CELs and codes you would have to use other senders for the aftermarket gauges. Hesco Performance makes a thermostat housing with two sensor ports, or you can mount a sensor bung in the heater hose or the upper radiator hose.

I'm not sure how the oil pressure gauge functions on the OBDII, so likely you will have to put a "T" or "Y" fitting in the block to feed both the OEM and aftermarket oil pressure sending units.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
Implementing the gauges isn't an issue, and it won't be at the expense of the stock ones.
I am looking more for opinions on the value on using them - I don't want a 747 cockpit of gauges if the stock units are reliable.
On my 952 I have duplicate boost, temp and press gauges because the motor has the sh*t tweaked out of it - hardly the case here!

Back