• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autozone listed ATF+3 as repacement for Dexron 3??? Even shows in their computers????

Re: Autozone listed ATF+3 as repacement for Dexron 3??? Even shows in their computers????

I´m not gonna argue with the engineers, but it has been my experience, when the Dexron starts changing from bright red to a yellow/brown (straw color) or to dark brown there is usually an odor present, that smells burnt. If you drop the pan and check the corners where the fluid circulation, is less, you can find (often) some small deposits of a thick brown gunk, that reminds me of varnish and smells burnt.
Just as a test, if the fluid in your tranny, is brown, take little and rub it between your fingers, it has a different feel than fresh Dexron. Don´t really know if it´s a viscosity change or it´s just a bit more sticky. When my instincts (ass dyno) fails me, I use my nose, you can smell when the tranny fluid is due for a change.
Have noticed the heat, from towing or bonzai runs up the interstate, seems to accelerate the color change.
I bought an old 88, from the dealer, a trade in that wasn´t really worth the trouble for them to fix (almost terminally neglected), had some shift issues. I insisted they run it through inspection and emmisions, before I´d buy. Guess they figured, they were doing me a favor and changed most of the fluids, they put ATF-3 in the tranny. Fresh fluids or not, the first step in troubleshooting a tranny is a fluid change and filter service. After changing to Dexron, the change for the better was fairly obvious (didn´t need my finely tuned ass dyno, I could feel it in my neck) and along with a TPS adjustment, the tranny works well. Service center, put ATF-3 in my Chev, in place of Dexron, same thing, soft shifts.

Last edited:
Re: Autozone listed ATF+3 as repacement for Dexron 3??? Even shows in their computers????

i have a 99, in the manual it says dexron III or equivalent for 6cyl and ATF+3 for 4cyl. that is straight from the manual. seems pretty simple:dunce:, dont see why there is this much discussion on such a thing like this.

Most of the local, Dodge/Jeep dealers, don´t stock Dexron anymore, they use ATF-3. They buy it in big drums. Asked the dealer, why? he said it was simple, ATF is good enough and they avoid as much duplicate stock as possible. Unsaid, but probably relavent, if they found somebody to OK, ATF in place of Dexron, who stands to benefit in a few years, when/if there is a rash of tranny failures. Know the dealer had a bunch of trouble, when his mech.s put Dexron in the Chrysler trannies. The lack of Dexron in the shop, may have something to do with the KISS principle. Dexron, at least around here, is a special order thing, only at customer request.

Last edited:

FSM for my 98 XJ Classic says to use Dexron IIE/Mercon and only use Dexron II in emergency situations where Mercon fluid is not available. I gather from this thread that Dexron II is no longer sold and folks are using Dexron III instead. Is DexronIIE/Mercon still sold? If not, what replaced it?

Thanks,

Chuck

NM on last question. Was at autoparts store today and saw Decron III/Mercon...that answers that.

-Chuck

Back