• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Modded Yank Tank

Aussiexj96

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Im new to the forum and thaught i would put up a brief wright up on my cherokee. Im from Australia and most of my mods have been done by myself and my neighbour with the exception of the transmission and engine work.

Im running a 96 XJ Sport, i baught it stock and since then;

Suspension:
4.5 RE superflex kit with rear leaf
ACOS front coil spacers, Rear extended shackles
SS braided brake lines
Procomp 24" bigbore shockies
RE GEN II quick disconects

Tires & Rims:
Cooper 32 x 11.5 stt's
King steel sunrasia (gloss black)

Engine:
4.8L stroker kit + custom crank and cam
Custom alloy radiator (40%) bigger than stock
3 x electronic thermos 2 x 12", and 1 x 10"
K&N apollo intake with snorkle + bored out TB and spacer
Upgraded injectors - Bosch EV6 36p/ph, 4 pin spray pattern
Mopar headder and 2 & 1/4 exhaust dumped b4 the rear diff (custom made)

Transmission:
AW4 rebuilt with;
High volume oil pump
Kevlar pick up's
HD clutch packs
Stage 2 shift kit

Transfer:
Stock 242 with RE SYE and double cardon drive shaft

Diffs:
Front;
Dana 30 HP with Yukon 4.11's and RD100 ARB locker, Moly axels
Rear;
Dana 35 with Yukon 4.11's and RD101? ARB locker, Moly axels

Extras:
Lightforce XGT HID 240's
Rear steel Bar
Uniden UHF police scanner
Tail gate lights 4 x cold cathode fluros
Scan guage 2
Manny manny more small personal touches
Bushwacker cut-out flares
Reflexxion Steel cowle bonnet
All carpet removed and marine grade 2pak epoxy applied
Rear quarter panel chop

Mods on the go ATM:

Dana 44 steer from an FSJ - 6 month build
Dana 60 rear from a dodge - 6 month build

NP231 transfer - on the way from aussie jeep forum - Done by end of jan 2010

Intake manifold modifications - custom air plenum tunned runners - Done by end of jan 2010

Haltech 2000 sports ECU and custom made wiring harness - Installing next weekend

Pictures - will upload some more soon, will also take pics of "mods on the go" projects.

Cheers and hope you all enjoy :D Aussiexj96

cherokee01.jpg

img0022fx.jpg

nightlights.jpg

45086458.jpg

84291374.jpg

cherokee02.jpg

16571821.jpg

bonet2g.jpg

knapollo.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rig, Thats one hell of a bumper you got on the front of that thing. I have always wanted to do some wheeling down your way, Hopefully I will one of these days! :cheers:

Thx FlexdXJ, Yea the front bumper will be replaced eventually, ive already cut alot of metal off it and it still huge :S. Would love a hanson prerunner with the loop but ill wait till the AUD gets right ontop of the greenback ;).

Last edited:
Thx FlexedXJ, Yea the front bumper will be replaced eventually, ive already cut alot of metal off it and it still huge :S. Would love a hanson prerunner with the loop but ill wait till the AUD gets right ontop of the greenback ;).

Good Idea! Those Hanson bumpers are pricey though!

very nice! keep us updated with the progress!

Typically when you joke you should use 'lol' or something to indicate you are joking. He has a LHD vehicle so its obviously not mounted backwards. Good joke though.

He was obviously joking.

OP, unique rod and reel mounts. Are they just for transport, or can they be turned around so you can actually use them when fishing?

thats one sweet rig you got there... I love the lights... Lightforce lights mucho $$$ I always wanted a set of 240 Bliz HID

Thanks all for your comments / feedback :D

We had a few questions about the rear hatch lights and the fishing rod holders :).

Hatch Lights:
4x 300mmx6mm cold cathode fluros (i have pics somewhere when we fabbed it up so ill get on to that for yas ;))

The fishing rod holders are very common here in Aus, Everyone who goes surf fishing (beach fishing) with 12 foot to 16 foot surf rods has one. They are made by a company called wilson and retail for about $20 aud. They normally hold rods with alvey reels but you can also use em for rods with spinners.
Oh and Yes i have turned em arround and used em to hold my rods whilst drinkin beer on the beach :D. - I will also take a pic and post up for you guys who are interested (very easy to make).

Good to see ya here JJ !!! :peace:

Tomorrows updates will include the above mentioned photos and some pics
of me stripping down the D60 and 44 steer axel assemblys.

Thanks again all for the warm welcome to your forum :)

Aussiexj96

lol yeah RHD, I was thinking about the left side of the road.

I really like the way you aussies do your jeeps! Way to go. Something about the safari look is appealing to me. Look forward to seeing the rest of your build.

Back