• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker - how does it work?

So my concern is when I am modulating the throttle mid turn, will it unlock, and then lock again?

It might, and it might not, but you'd never feel the difference. It depends on how much throttle you still have when you ease off and how much traction the surface has. For the locker to disengage the traction available to make the outside tire spin ahead needs to exert more force than the power coming into the diff from the motor. If the rear tires are spinning it's not going to unlock. If the tires stopped spinning and the locker did unlock it would mean that the outside tire has some bite, which would apply to both forward traction and sideways bite, and the unlocking would be very momentary as you then got back onto the throttle.

Are you doing rally or rallyx?

Getting in and out of the throttle can be scary at times.The vehicle will be pulling left and then immediately switch to pulling on the right!

It just does.

Oh wait, that's the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth.

Sup Joe Dirt!?

I had an Aussie in my 8.25 rear.

Pro-
-Traction was AWESOME
-It always unlocked well
-Rear tires seems to not wear any faster
-Really fun in sand
-I could take it apart in 5 minutes, and have shafts out in 10.

Con-
-SOOO much back lash, it would clunk when you let off the gas.
-The occasional click, click BANG
-Front tires were wearing on the edge, because they had to overcome the forces of a locked rear end

I removed it. I got a front one for free, and I didnt want both at once. It was very noisy.

Figured i'd bring up this thread instead of making yet another one..

I've got a disco D30 with an Aussie waiting to go under my '90 XJ.

Could someone elaborate on how the disco setup works with the Aussie?
Will it always turn the front drive shaft, even in 2wd when it's disco'd?

Just curious..

If you find that you don't have enough room to do that, then you just add a bunch of toe out in the rear and it will rotate all on its own (but don't use that setup for anything faster than 2nd gear courses, because it gets sketchy at higher speeds).

How do you add toe to a rear end that is on leaf springs and has no steering adjustment because it is a non-steer axle?

Welded will also lead to breakage more so than locker would. Do the locker. Your street driving trips will be a lot better.
It's not a street driven vehicle. It's a race only application.

How do you add toe to a rear end that is on leaf springs and has no steering adjustment because it is a non-steer axle?
The same way you add camber.

Figured i'd bring up this thread instead of making yet another one..

I've got a disco D30 with an Aussie waiting to go under my '90 XJ.

Could someone elaborate on how the disco setup works with the Aussie?
Will it always turn the front drive shaft, even in 2wd when it's disco'd?

Just curious..

Yes, the front driveshaft will always turn, even in 2wd with the front disconnected. With an open diff the spider gears spin instead of the carrier/driveshaft, but the locker replaces the spider gears and so the carrier will spin.

Back