• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATTENTION: Upcoming elections for SoCal chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK folks: it's that time of the year. Elections are coming! Here are the ground rules:
1. There are three positions in SoCal: President, Vice President and Treasurer.
2. Sunday(10/14) in the AM, I will start three threads for nominations. Please post your nominations in those threads.
3. Nomincations will close Midnight Sat (10/20)
4. Each nomination needs to be seconded and then accepted by the nominee.
5. Please do not nominate someone for a position without speaking to them first.
6. Starting on Sunday 10/21, I would like for the candidates to post a quick note as to why they think they're good for the position and be ready to answer questions folks might have for them.
7. Voting booths will open at 00:00 on 10/28 and be open till 24:00 11/10. Candidate with highest number of votes wins.
8. If a position has only one candidate running for it, then that candidate is assumed to have won that race.
9. To run for a position the member has to be a SoCal chapter member in good standing (1 year as a red).

I think that covers all the rules. If I remember something I forgot, I"ll post it up between now and then :D

Edit:
Something I forgot to add: while it's not a requirement, if you are running for the position do keep in mind that it's nice for folks to see you at events every so often (M&G's or unoficial runs). That does not mean attend every single one of them, but a run every so often and a M&G every so often is nice :D

Last edited:
Thanks Remi!

Is there somewhere one could learn about the roles and requirements of office for each?

rpraterxj said:
Thanks Remi!

Is there somewhere one could learn about the roles and requirements of office for each?
Hmmm, there are not really any specific roles or requirements except that treasurer counts money and keeps tabs on it ;) President is the big cheese and VP is the smaller cheese.

Otherwise then that it's all group effort: for event everyone helps out, something comes up and a decision needs to be made, all 3 make it (for example when a donation is made and so on, or whether to buy spill kits and such). Coordination of shirt printing, and such all gets usually split between the three and whoever is available or has contacts helps out with it. Biggest thing is coordinating the annual Big Bear event :D

I was about to ask that same question. As far as the general population knows, the only requirement for office in SoCal is to vanish off the face of the earth as soon as elected.. (Ron, how did you get that wrong?)

-C

rpraterxj said:

Well the chapter BOD's job is fairly easy.

Basically the president serves as the top decision maker and cool guy of the chapter. The following jobs are generally handled by the president, vice president or both:

Coordination of events (Not necessarily that they actively do the event, they can have other people coordinate the event, they just make sure it happens; ie I generally coordinate the Big Bear event even though I'm not BOD anymore).
Point of Contact between National BOD and Chapter BOD (One person, usually president).
Point of Contact between Chapter and other clubs
Point of Contact between Chapter and media
Creation and ordering of chapter merchandise
Relations between chapter and USFS Adopt-A-Trail (I'm still the point of contact there and plan to be unless I were to move out of chapter)
Diffuse conflicts between members and the chapter or members and members

That's about all I can think of there. I know it sounds like a lot but it's really a pretty lax job as those different duties generally only come up a few times a year.

The Recorder / Treasurer position is the most difficult one. That person should keep a record of all motions between the BOD (I'm not sure about how the current administration has done it, but my administration generally did things more by executive order than motions) and, more importantly, keep all the financial records and money. So basically here we want somebody that knows how to add and subtract ;)

That's about all I can think of at the moment... If anybody has any further questions feel free to put them up here and myself or other prior/current SoCal Chapter BOD members will answer them.

Sequoia
Previous SoCal Chapter President

How come the chapter elections aren't running concurrent with the national elections? Wouldn't that be easier?

us socals are simple folk, dont give us too much to think about at once, its already hard enough to dig thru all the gallons of beer and chunks of bong resin to be able to post coherently!

FOLKS! Please make sure you talk to the people you want to nominate for the position. If for no other reason then just for the courtesy sake to make sure that they are interested. Putting someone in a situation without asking them before hand is not nice ;)

For what it's worth.....Looks like it's gonna be a nail-biter this year!!! Yeah!! Bring it on!:yelclap: :soapbox: :guitar:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back