• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attention masonry gods

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Planning out the remodel of my first floor, first time since 1880 it been touched, there are two smallish rooms that would be an awesome single room but there is a fireplace at a 45 degree angle

9DCEB1A9-1CFE-45EB-B6F6-3F2A40B6C79B-5956-000006064E188B8B_zps2717fbc3.jpg

How easy/impossible would it be to redesign the fireplace so that it would "rotate against the wall after I remove the quarter wall? So using the picture instead of it opening to the side it would be facing right at you

It's going to take quite a bit of work, and depending on how the chimney is set up, you might have to either jack up or take down the chimney and then rebuild it.

You will probably have to substantially modify the foundation for the fireplace/hearth/chimney as well, I would guess.

If it's an original masonry fireplace, your easiest option will be to demolish/remove the existing fireplace and chimney(CHIMNEY FIRST - more then a few people have regretted getting half way through fireplace demolition and have the chimney come crashing down through the structure) and install a new fireplace insert. You can't really move a masonry fireplace - the chimney( a few tons of brick) are supported by the hearth. There's usually a huge foundation under a masonry fireplace Try to move the hearth and you'll have to engineer load carrying for the chimney. It's not an easy task, as the walls and ceiling are not designed to carry the cantilevered load.

That sounds complicated and by that I mean expensive

Back