• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attention leaf spring gurus

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 with a 3 inch add-a-leaf in the rear spring pack. I am swapping in a 2001 axle and was planning on using the 2001 spring pack to replace my tired '91 springs. The 2001 springs are from a 2wd. My research indicates that the 2wd springs should not be different than my '91 4wd springs. When I set the two next to each other my '91's have a lot more arch than the 2001 springs even though they are older (205,000 miles). Is it possible that my '91 springs are more arched because the add-a-leaf has been in there for a couple of years? I am concerned about actually LOSING lift height if I use the newer (only 89,000 miles) 2001 springs. Anybody run across this before?

problem is your comparing springs without weight on them. what happens when there loaded?

i would think the 91 spring with the add a leaf should be arched more than the 01 when unloaded and even loaded, but what would happen with weight on them?

Both packs are currently apart so I am just comparing individual leaf arch without weight on them. You are saying that the arch is less important than the actual ability to support a load? Perhaps the '91 springs have taken a set in a more arched shape due to the add-a-leaf that they have been riding next to for a long time?

I just don't want to lose any lift, but it seems you are saying that the arch isn't necessarily very important?

Thanks for the quick reply...I am currently pondering the situation in my driveway with everything apart...anxious to put it back together!

Back