• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

At the crossroads.....time to make a decision

Yes, I noted so in the post following the one you quoted. I thought it covered more under there. I spoke with a local shop and they offered the RE XD kit at a very tempting price, much lower than anywhere else I've seen so far so if I have to come up with a way to mod my existing skid to bolt to the new crossmember I'd be okay with that. Still going to do my homework before buying anything though.

And you're right that my current one doesn't either. Again, I thought it did more. I would like to remedy that this go round. I had the Rusty's engine/trans skid on a previous XJ and liked the protection it afforded, but it sure made oil changes a pain lol

Ironman makes a weld on oil pan skid now too...... :shhh:

I hate to be "that guy" but budget restraints force me to ask; does he offer discounts to naxja members?

Edit: looked on his site but didn't see a skid listed

Last edited:
Don't install a radius arm setup. Get a 3-link. Here's a video of the radius arm unloading on mine that is very much worth complaining about:

https://vimeo.com/147398931

Others will chime in with "you need stiffer shocks, you need stiffer springs, etc, etc." It's all speculation and you'll note that it will likely come from vendors of radius arm kits. 3-links perform without any shock and spring guess work, and the expense that comes along with that.

Don't install a radius arm setup. Get a 3-link. Here's a video of the radius arm unloading on mine that is very much worth complaining about:

https://vimeo.com/147398931

Others will chime in with "you need stiffer shocks, you need stiffer springs, etc, etc." It's all speculation and you'll note that it will likely come from vendors of radius arm kits. 3-links perform without any shock and spring guess work, and the expense that comes along with that.
I remember seeing you post that video on another forum.

Looks like like you had a lot of things working against you....Radius arms weren't your problem.

Radius arms aren't going to cause wheel hop like that.
A lead foot and low traction certainly will.

I see no unloading of the front suspension at all.

Back