• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN header install...now I have a leak

I just wanted to reply and let everyone know that it wasn't the apn header giving me problems...I put some copper RTV on the gasket and torqued everything closer to spec than the first time and the header/intake are sealed.

Defanitly worth the $120...beats 400+ for banks or another aftermarket.

jeepsrock said:
hey andrew can u outline the steps to do it in 2 hours ... any performace boosts u feel.

pete

Basically the same as any other write up for this header. It's just once you have done it once you can go through it pretty quickly. I didn't need to mark anything because I knew where it went and I also didn't need to clean out the intake which saved a lot of time. Also, once you learn how to squeeze your arm in between the header and block and know where the bolts go in and come out...that also saves time.

I know my flowmaster 40 sounds a lot better now that I can hear it instead of my crack! It may be to soon to say though but it seems like I am also getting better mileage than i was with the old header.

Last edited:
The reason i ask what i did was becuase everyone who posts directions on how to do this procedure differs, For example some ppl say to remove the injectors and fuel rail while others say that is totally not needed ?

anyway i am about to have enough from my stcok header and just want to make a good decision that i wont regret, one that i usually do with cheaper parts.

pete

andrew2516 said:
Basically the same as any other write up for this header. It's just once you have done it once you can go through it pretty quickly. I didn't need to mark anything because I knew where it went and I also didn't need to clean out the intake which saved a lot of time. Also, once you learn how to squeeze your arm in between the header and block and know where the bolts go in and come out...that also saves time.

I know my flowmaster 40 sounds a lot better now that I can hear it instead of my crack! It may be to soon to say though but it seems like I am also getting better mileage than i was with the old header.

So Andrew, if you say it was not the APN header giving you problems, what was the problem?

Was it something left undone?

Thanks for any info. Glad it worked out!

I'm pretty sure it was my fault for not tightening down the bolts exactly in order and also not torque them down to spec. When I redid the gasket I added copper RTV, because I didn't want to take that all apart...and feel like I didn't really do anything to fix it. When I put it back together I followed the correct order installing the bolts and I also didn't tighten them down how I normally do with everything else(tight). They were pretty close to 24 ft/lbs this time.

It sounds great now though! The apn header is defanitly worth the $120, as you probably know. I don't see why people spend $400+ on something that does not add a meaningful amount of horsepower.

Thanks for the replys!...I put this on like three other forums and this is the only one I really got help from.

edit: I love that name "POSXJguy"...I called mine that a few times when it was leaking.

Isnt 24 foot pounds pretty loose ?

On the included gasket , can u clarify what you guys dress it with ? Do u use copper spray on both sides or do u use copper RTV ????

pete

jeepsrock said:
Isnt 24 foot pounds pretty loose ?

On the included gasket , can u clarify what you guys dress it with ? Do u use copper spray on both sides or do u use copper RTV ????

pete

24 ft/lbs is loose but thats what they are supposed to be. I used copper RTV(ultra high temp copper gasket) on both sides of the gasket. I normally never add RTV to a gasket but everyone said it was good stuff and I just wanted to get it fixed.

Just got my 99 up intake w/injectors and plan to install a header. My XJ is a 92 and the stock header is not cracked or leaking w/almost 200k. I have had 2 XJs and never knew this was a problem.

To be honest with you i am sick of hearing that loud crack in my header and not my flowmasters..lol.
Is this effecting my performance / mileage in any way ?

How long has the longest person in here had the apn headers ? whats the biggest complaint problem ?

Thanks
pete

jeepsrock said:
To be honest with you i am sick of hearing that loud crack in my header and not my flowmasters..lol.
Is this effecting my performance / mileage in any way ?

How long has the longest person in here had the apn headers ? whats the biggest complaint problem ?

Thanks
pete

just buy it!

there was another thread somewhere about it. search for apn header.

Well guys i got the header installed last week and solved a few other problems. The issue that i am having thats relavant to the header is that after driving the jeep and shutting it off, the header is making loud ticking noise. I think this is because of th heat but i though it would go away.

pete

man, if thats the only thing happening now its nothin! i have heard many a new cars from factorys do that and im sure many folks would trade that sound for one of their problems! congrats on the swap!

Well its intresting because the ticking isnt happennig from under the jeep or anything but rather the portion that attaches to the block and i am hoping the ticking isnt representing any fatigue that the block/header might be having.

Another thing is there seems to be a whine/whistle that is coming from that area of the engine. I cant tell if its a PS pump related or a vac leak of some sort. I cant hear precisely enough with the sound of the engine and exhaust.

Pete

A few weeks ago I put on the 99 intake manifold and torqued the header a little more and I noticed mine was ticking when I shut it off--just the header cooling down. I also changed my o-rings on my injectors when I put the fuel rail back on. One the rings got pinched and so air was whistling in. Try pouring water at the bottom of each injector to see if it gets sucked in/changes the pitch of the whistle. You can also try twisting each injector a little and see if that changes the noise. If its not an injector, than your gasket has a leak somewhere, or there is a leak at your downpipe.

Thanks for the advice gradon , in that case maybe i will just leave the bolts and they will loosen over time and that noise will go away.

I have searched for air leaks and i cant find anything.. I tried spraying the injectors with no results. I checked the man gasket and that seems pretty solid.

Pete

UPDATE: This header has been leaking slightly for a while now. At first when i put this all back together it didn't leak for about 8 months then one day on a long trip it started up again.

A few weeks ago I went out and looked at it and decided to check the torque on some of the bolts. I ended up snapping the front stud off inside the head. So I decided since its winter I might as well bring the jeep to a shop instead of playing around with tapping that out in the cold.

The guys at the shop found out that the header and the intake would not fit together so they had to grind some of the intake towards the rear. Since then my jeep has had a huge increase in power and its not leaking anymore.

I never really considered this because my jeep is a 93' and I've always heard that there shouldn't be problems fittting these on with the older intakes.

Anyway thanks for the help guys I just wanted to update this for future readers.

Odd. I don't see how some just bolt on and go and some have to grind down the intake... Has anybody done the swap without pulling the fuel rail?

Odd. I don't see how some just bolt on and go and some have to grind down the intake... Has anybody done the swap without pulling the fuel rail?

I agree...I never looked into it because I have only ever heard that you need to grind down the 99+ intakes unless a previous owner swapped a newer intake onto mine(doubt it).

Anyone know if there is something that stands out as a difference between the older and newer intakes? If so I'll go look and let you guys know.

Back