• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Apexi SAFC 2 Write Up!!!

Is the wiring the same for RENIX (non-HO) computers? Sorry, i'm an electrical dummie and i need all the help i can get to make this work. I also got a Mallory Hyfire 6AL to install. If anybody has some instructions to wire this in i wouzld be really happy.

BTW, just finished my 4.7 stroker and want to use the APEXI to fine tune the A/F ratio.

Nobody willing to help me? :dunno: I don't want to spend hundreds to get this installed and i want to make sure i don't fry my ecu.

I have one but have not had a chance to install it in my 89. the wiring is different for the Renix (87 - 90) XJ's.
I have checked the wiring idagrams and have identified the changes but haven't installed it so can't say if I have missed anything. Will post the wiring after I install - but that won't be for a couple of weeks - to much other stuff to do right now.

I figured out how to hook up the APEXI to the RENIX, but i still miss the tach signal. Does anybody know what line i have to use to get a tach signal? :wave:

What's the benifit of having this? Better gas mileage? Better proformance? Does it sense that you are running rich or lean? If it doesn't tell you, how can you find out?

You can check if you're running lean or rich by wiring in an A/F instrument like this
003375.jpg

You can adjust your A/F mixture so you don't run lean or rich (usually your engine runs lean at WOT) and you can adjust for a larger displacement like my stroker engine.

I beleive the tach signal is pin D1 18 White.
As I said earlier - I have not installed mine but thats the info from the FSM.

The FSM says it but the signal is not usable, same as the C1 pin. We could not find any tach signal the APEXI could understand so i removed it. Anyone wants to buy a once installed SAFC-II black? :mad:

Nice write up....
Anyone use one to help dial one in with boost.? Same A/f number are desired I'm assuming.
Once in the 250+ range, your guys doing any fuel system upgrades? High volume pump etc..

The Tach wire on my 87 was a aqua (bluish green) and white wire, I had to trac it down when I installed my alarm with remote start. It can be found going to the cluster or by the coil. Hopefully this is the same for your 89. :)

I have an SAFC 2 to mount in my Nissan Spec V as part of my Turbo Project.

Plans are changing. Car is being sold.

Have any Jeep owners with the SAFC 2, after propperly dynoed and tuned, noticed significant changes? I plan on selling mine, unless you guys convince me otherwise.

Thanks
Jason

Guys,

http://motors.search.ebay.com/searc...00&fpos=11413&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

Apexi SAFC II (2) is available on eBay Motors for around $250 shipped, while is sold for around $345 plus shipping elsewhere

For a cheaper mod.. check this eBay Store (XJ Armor) for a $80 MAP adjuster / calibrator that looks better than a home made and cheaper (while more elegant) than Turbo City's!

Thanks

hey, special thanks to Dr. Dyno (Dino) and to Aaron

Does anyone know if the SAFC2 can adjust fuel curve in closed loop mode or only open loop for our OBDI motors?

Kyung

I would tend to think that it would be the same I have an safc I on my 02' lancer that i turbo'd The only thing is for the best tuning you need a wideband o2' i got 1 but they expensive... im sure the same goes for a jeep it clips to your exhaust and you get readings from inside while driving for Safc tuning on the fly... pretty neat.

-Jon

corbinafly said:
Does anyone know if the SAFC2 can adjust fuel curve in closed loop mode or only open loop for our OBDI motors?
Kyung

It shouldnt matter really if the computer is in open or closed loop. The Apexi takes the signal from the MAP sensor adjusts it, and then sends it to the computer as the MAP signal. The adjusted signal is what the computer uses to add or remove fuel. Its up to the computer to use the MAP signal when in open or closed loop.

AARON

I've posted earlier that SAFC2 is sold on eBay around $100 cheaper?

Well.. sorry about that.. please read about the counterfeit version of the Auto Timer, as an example:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/news_special.asp

I'm done with eBay. So many stuff that I bought turned to be cheap in quality as well as value.

Last edited:
Why would you need a turbo timer? Or is this for something else other than an XJ. Looks like it is only the turbo timer that is in question and not the one we have been talking about.

I don't know about an SAFC 2, but I know a guy with a 3.4L Camaro who, after reprogramming his ECU, and intake/exhaust/fuel delivery mods, is netting a (claimed) 286.7RWHP. I have no reason to doubt him, but that's an awfully high number for an otherwise-stocker (no head/valve/internal work). I guess the car is wicked fast though.

I'd imagine similar results could be obtained by using an SAFC 2 and a dyno, though of course since we have a lot more displacement to work with......and we'd be more interested in a fat torque curve than a high peak HP at a high rev.....

I still want to add one but will wait until I have all my engine mods complete and then do a dyno run to see how much benefit I could gain from one. No point in buying one if I already have good A/F ratios through out.

any gains out of this? IE better fuel economy, performance? My GF's brother use to have one of those in his integra, it was never tuned properly. Once we got it tuned, it was like night and day performance wise.

Back