• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anything special about a 95 XJ?

I love my 95. I had to swap in the orange button seat belts and the 97+ mirrors but i love it even more than my 94. I wish i had the 97+ doors with the full windows though, i hate the wing windoes and small openiongs.

bajacalal said:
I also fitted earlier year model vent windows in my 96 XJ. I just got ones from an 89 I think, at the salvage yard and painted them, its a cheap and easy swap but I think the vent windows create more wind noise (even when closed). 96 XJ's, have a single cat but it does have a sensor fitting. Its later years that have them on the exhaust manifold.

No kidding? It is easy to install the vent windows on a 96?
I'd love to install a drivers side vent.
What exactly did you have to do? What are the needed parts?
How much at the yard?
I would appreciate the info, because this stationary window in my 96 is really getting to me.

Last edited:
i would have to say the 95's are really good.
my mom has owned her 95 2wd 4.0 auto since about 98 and its at 190k right now (still stomps a mustang off the line, or did when i drove it) only maintenance since 98 has been one cracked radiator, and a thermostat.
other than that oil and ATF
runs like a champ... (knock on wood)

edit: oh yeah and... never heard of orange seat belt buckles.

falcon556 said:
No kidding? It is easy to install the vent windows on a 96?
I'd love to install a drivers side vent.
What exactly did you have to do? What are the needed parts?
How much at the yard?
I would appreciate the info, because this stationary window in my 96 is really getting to me.

I don't know how much they will cost. I got mine from someone on the old pre-Naxja Jeep forum, who had gotten tired of the noise and leakage, so he gave them to me. They've since been in two of my Jeeps.

Replacement is pretty easy. They're a unit complete with its weatherstripping and the front channel for the rolldown window. You need to take the inner door panel off, and it also helps to remove the weatherstrip on the outside of the door (the wiper that contacts the rolldown window), though this is not absolutely necessary. There are a couple of small screws in the top of the door frame, and one big one down at the bottom of the window channel. Roll down the window. Remove the screws, and then pull the top of the vent assembly towards the rear until the rubber weatherstripping clears the door frame. Then pull it upward, tilting it slightly outward at the top. At the very end, the tab at the bottom will need to be manipulated around the main window glass, and this is why it helps to remove the weatherstripping first.

When you install it, you just push it back down and forward, making sure not to fold over any of the rubber weatherstrip. There is some leeway for adjustment to make it all fit and close properly and to allow the main glass to slide down smoothly. You can also move the vent glass slightly in the frame by loosening the screw in the top hinge where it goes through the glass. The post that holds the latch is hollow, and if you take that apart you'll find a screw inside that is used to tighen it if it is loose. If you adjust it all carefully, you can usually fix the leakage. A little silicone grease on the sealing surface of the rubber does far more good than you would expect, too.

As I mentioned before, check any junkyard window carefully for a loose bottom pivot. There is a pretty stiff spring used to keep the window from blowing shut, and if that rusts and binds, eventually the pivot post will come loose in the metal frame of the glass itself, and once that happens, it is incurable.

Well, the deal on the 95 XJ fell through. Darn ebayers and their last minute bids! Oh well, I appreciate all the info on the 95 models, especially the vent windows as I totally did not know all that. I'm still looking to add an older XJ to my fleet. Will definitely keep the '01 as my dd, but would like to have an older trail toy. Of course the wifey's TJ and ZJ are too pristine for such things :) The search continues.

Thanks again!

falcon556 said:
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I'll be looking for one.

Got one for $35, installed it, no leaks works great.
I wish I had known about it years ago.
One little complication, I have window vent visors installed, I had to trim part of it off to allow the vent window to rotate.

pec50 said:
95 was the last year before the more complex dual cat OBDII; although the 96 did have a slightly strengthened block over the 95. Check the header for cracks and under the passenger side carpet for rust. No complaints as I pass 195K on my 95 and still averaging around 21-24 mpg with the 5speed.
Single cat, dual 02 sensors. I'd rather have a 96 personally, or better yet a 99 but thats a whole nother conversation.

The reason I'd rather have a 96 is because of the strengthened block and revised lighter weight pistons. My 95 has had bad piston slap since 60k miles. At 120k I think its on its last legs, its loosing power and sounds terrible. :mad: I'd be thrilled to death to get 24 mpg, the best I ever got was 20-21 mpg on strictly hwy trips and only if I kept my speed under 75.

xtrememtbiker85 said:
Is there a big difference in road noise or water leaking with the vent windows(if they are in good shape)?

I used to have an'87 that had them, they were a bit loose and noisy.
This one is good, took it to over 75mph, no noise

Hey thanks, I am gonna try and buy a nee one thats not rusting like teh bone yard jeeps.

Hey I just won your skid plate off ebay for a friend of mine. Its going on his 01 xj, i have one on my 95 too. I did not realize it was you until i reread your name. I will pay pal your cash tomorrow after my money in my account clears over night.

thanks alot

xtrememtbiker85 said:
Hey thanks, I am gonna try and buy a nee one thats not rusting like teh bone yard jeeps.

Hey I just won your skid plate off ebay for a friend of mine. Its going on his 01 xj, i have one on my 95 too. I did not realize it was you until i reread your name. I will pay pal your cash tomorrow after my money in my account clears over night.

thanks alot

You gotta be kidding, its a small XJ world!!!
I didn't realize it was you until you said so.
Congratulations, you are going to like it, it is in great shape.
I emailed you through ebay about the money, there is a small difference of opinion, but who am I to argue? :D
Good night.

Yea i guess i was wrong on the price. Its actually for my friends 01 xj. i already have that skid on my 95. it will look and function awesome though. thanks alot.

and yea it is a small world.

xtrememtbiker85 said:

It is easy to replace, so I went to the bone yard, they told me I had 30 days if I didn't like it. The window channel was a little old, so I installed my original channel. That channel is held in place by a rivet, easy to pop it off and press the new in. The new window goes for $230, so I figured I'll try an old one for $35.
I gotta say something. Since I joined the NAXJA I learned a lot and I was able to customize my '96XJ to be just the way I always wanted it.
I ended up with my dream Jeep and had fun doing it.

falcon556 said:
It is easy to replace, so I went to the bone yard, they told me I had 30 days if I didn't like it. The window channel was a little old, so I installed my original channel. That channel is held in place by a rivet, easy to pop it off and press the new in. The new window goes for $230, so I figured I'll try an old one for $35.
I gotta say something. Since I joined the NAXJA I learned a lot and I was able to customize my '96XJ to be just the way I always wanted it.
I ended up with my dream Jeep and had fun doing it.

I could not agree more with that last comment. i am putting some of the final finishing touches on my 95 xj, thanks to NAXJA and a few other forums.

Back