• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone tow w/ a Nissan Titan?

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
I have been looking at these lately for DD for my wife, and towing duties too. The Titan has a 9500Lb tow rating. I have a friend that tows his TJ with one, and it works well for him. Titans have a 5.6L 32v V8, a tow mode, optional locking rear diff and quite a few other cool options too.

Anyone else tow with a Titan?

Andy, aren't the Titan's the one with the D44 rear, that is way undersized and usually require complete diff rebuilds?

I would check into that, because I have read that in multiple places.

I would rather use a new GMC Canyon with the 5,3L V8, personally.
But, the Titan as a DD/Tow Vehicle is going to drain your bank account. The mileage is not where it should be, and they do not tow that great compared to other 1/2 ton pickups

Andy, aren't the Titan's the one with the D44 rear, that is way undersized and usually require complete diff rebuilds?

I would check into that, because I have read that in multiple places.
Yes. But they do have factory disc's and I considered taking the one from my Mom's friend's and shoving it in my Jeep. :D

If you look underneath that 44 look very out of place and small. Overall I was less than impressed with the design and layout of the Titan I drove.

my buddy has one and it tows his 20' Ranger bassboat without a problem. He lives 20 miles in the hills from the lake so his rig gets a workout.
The gas mileage sucks bad with or without a trailer, he's constantly bitching about it..

my friend has the first year Titan and pulls a 21ft jet boat with it and it pulls pretty damn good. It does rub with the stock tires in the rear with just about any added weigth :(

Shrug. The Titan doesn't have meaningfully different mileage from the Chevy full size, no matter which drivetrain really.
The Colorado gets substantially better.. with 3 less cylinders it damn well should.

The Titan's rear end might be a weak spot. I'd go with a Tacoma or Tundra, personally. Worst I've ever seen wrong with a Tacoma was a leaky wheel cylinder - not that I noticed when I drove it from the driveway on to the lift. Since I started working on Toyotas as a pro, I've been more & more impressed.

I've been on a few 13hr drives in an 06 Tundra delivering smaller cars on a Uhaul trailer, and it does it with no mechanical drawbacks. The gas-mileage on the other hand sucks with ANY load on the truck.

I have never personally towed with a Titan, but here is my story about them.

About 3 years ago, I worked for a service station/towing company. Within a weeks time, 2 different Titan trucks towing trailers (one an Airstream, one a regular rv) came in after rolling over, both from the local interstate. I live in MI, so there is sometimes some mild wind, but the road is only rolling hills, no mountains or difficult roadway. I remember seeing 3 Titans that suffered roll overs while towing within 3 months, and I only worked part time.

It might be a coincidence, but it might not, I just found it odd because we only had one other roll over from every other vehicle that was towing during that time.

Shrug. The Titan doesn't have meaningfully different mileage from the Chevy full size, no matter which drivetrain really.
The Colorado gets substantially better.. with 3 less cylinders it damn well should.

The Titan's rear end might be a weak spot. I'd go with a Tacoma or Tundra, personally. Worst I've ever seen wrong with a Tacoma was a leaky wheel cylinder - not that I noticed when I drove it from the driveway on to the lift. Since I started working on Toyotas as a pro, I've been more & more impressed.
IF you read my post you would have noticed that they offer a 5.3L V8 with the Colorado/Canyon. Same 5.3L, lighter truck, better mpg.
I miss my dakota with the 318/46rh, full sythetic fluid wherever it would go, 24 mpg highway easy. 15mpg towing 5k+ lbs

I towed my XJ all the time with my Titan. I also towed a 5th wheel. Never an issue. I had added firestone airbags. Always used synthetic oil and synthetic gearoil in diffs.

I towed my XJ to Moab from here in TX with no issues!

That said I now have a superduty :) In my pinion any 1/2 ton is small no matter what the horsepower for towing... kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

Titan gas mileage was like 8-9mpg towing... I get 15-16mpg towing the same rig now. It obviously tows better too... forget I'm even towing sometimes.

had an 04 titan , would pull any pass on 70 from denver to moab at 55mph :D avg 12mpg to moab and back haulin the jeep

Also kinda off topic, but why is GM still offering the 5.3 Colorado/Canyon with the 4 speed auto and not the 6. Seems like a deal breaker there when everyone else is offering their PU's with either a 5 or a 6 speed auto...

I would rather use a new GMC Canyon with the 5,3L V8, personally.
But, the Titan as a DD/Tow Vehicle is going to drain your bank account. The mileage is not where it should be, and they do not tow that great compared to other 1/2 ton pickups

Have you seen the sticker price for a colorado/canyon with a 5.3? Might as well go fullsize imo.

Have you seen the sticker price for a colorado/canyon with a 5.3? Might as well go fullsize imo.
I priced a decently equipped ext cab (bed space more important than back seat for me) GMC Canyon for 25k.. would be less with my employee discount.
Yes it is a small truck, but I would personally buy/use it vs a titan. If I were to buy a tow vehicle/DD pickup. It would be cummins powered. Or if gas was a must, a 6.0L GM pickup. Can get the 6.0L in the 1500 if a 3/4 ton is really not required.

Are you sure about getting the 6.0 in a 1/2 ton? Is that a new development? I know at least 3 or 4 yrs ago the 6.0 was only for 3/4 ton+

Are you sure about getting the 6.0 in a 1/2 ton? Is that a new development? I know at least 3 or 4 yrs ago the 6.0 was only for 3/4 ton+
In 07/08 they started the "Vortec Max" option. 6.0L in 1/2 ton.
Definitely a good upgrade. Worked for GM then, for a short time, and work for them currently. The difference between the GM 4.8/5.3/6.0 (possibly the new 6.2) is cylinder bore.

Back