• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a 97+ w/3"+ without a SYE/driveshaft????

ZachMan said:
Why do people want to be cheap and be determind to tear their Jeep up. I don't care what anyone says if you go 3"+ get an SYE, perferable one like a AA HD SYE and cv shaft.

I don't see how anyone can be a member of any Jeep forum and not automatically know to order an SYE with their lift if they own a 97+ XJ. And if you don't have the cash thats simple, wait till you do. Do it right the first time and everything is always better.

First of all...I'm not determined to tear up my Jeep, in fact I'm trying to avoid it which is why I am posting here, so I can get some opinions. If you read my original post, I am aware that I need a SYE and was simply asking if I could make a 30+mile drive to get it home if it had bad vibes. If it does, my Jeep will sit in the garage until I can get a SYE. It has nothing to do with me being cheap. I am getting a great (limited time) deal on the lift, and when I checked this morning the trees outside my house didn't have money growing from them, so I need to save. I appreciate all of the helpful suggestions from everyone. For now I'll need to review the things I should automatically know (being a member of a few Jeep forums).
Dave

green, believe me I know how you feel. I did some math yesterday, and even though I'm getting paid extra for being here for over a year, if i "work" 12 hours a day 7 days a week in a 31 month day, i'm still only gettin paid 9 bucks an hour. But then again, I do get food and everything else for free. I"ve bought my lift (3.5'' RE superflex, cant remember if its superflex or super ride) and I've been waiting on buying a SYE, because I cant decided if i want to go with hack'n tap, or if i want to go with a tom woods setup. the other big thing is is that i'm also waiting to come home to the good ol USA. lift kits in germany, then trying to put the truck back on the boat sometimes come into A LOT of conflict, so i've opted to be patient (kinda!) and wait until I get home to lift it. If i dont need the SYE, great, though i'm sure i will, so i'm keeping the option open. my jeep is also my daily driver, so I have to be careful with what i'm doing, i dont need it sitting up on jacks for 2 or 3 weeks waiting on parts and such because it needs them, and I didnt know that. Well, i've rambled i see, so I'll let yall go. everyone be safe out on the trails, have fun, and hopefully i'll meet a lot of you guys sooner or later!

Kris

So how's it looking with you coming back? Any chance you will be able to make it to Moab in October?
ladywolf said:
green, believe me I know how you feel. I did some math yesterday, and even though I'm getting paid extra for being here for over a year, if i "work" 12 hours a day 7 days a week in a 31 month day, i'm still only gettin paid 9 bucks an hour. But then again, I do get food and everything else for free. I"ve bought my lift (3.5'' RE superflex, cant remember if its superflex or super ride) and I've been waiting on buying a SYE, because I cant decided if i want to go with hack'n tap, or if i want to go with a tom woods setup. the other big thing is is that i'm also waiting to come home to the good ol USA. lift kits in germany, then trying to put the truck back on the boat sometimes come into A LOT of conflict, so i've opted to be patient (kinda!) and wait until I get home to lift it. If i dont need the SYE, great, though i'm sure i will, so i'm keeping the option open. my jeep is also my daily driver, so I have to be careful with what i'm doing, i dont need it sitting up on jacks for 2 or 3 weeks waiting on parts and such because it needs them, and I didnt know that. Well, i've rambled i see, so I'll let yall go. everyone be safe out on the trails, have fun, and hopefully i'll meet a lot of you guys sooner or later!

Kris

Kejtar,
If i'm not in the middle of packing my stuff up to PCS back stateside, i hope so. Will try to get out of germany and take leave, or something. however, I may end up just being a spectator (anyone got an open seat?) I've never been to MOAB, always been in the pac NW as far as wheeling, and that's limited to the white/chinook pass area. so we'll see how things go, right now i know for an almost certain fact i will be home on leave in august, so mebbe we can rig something up there, guess we'll find out. i'll keep yall updated.

Kris

I currently have about 4.5" lift in the rear of my 99 5-speed, with a 1.25" t-case drop and have minor vibes around 50 MPH.

My son's 98 auto has 4.5" with 1.25" drop and no vibes whatsoever.

I've inspected both cars and have come to the conclusion that the difference between the two is in driveshaft length, or how much the yoke ends up hanging off the transfer case.

My yoke hangs off the transfer case about 1/2" further than my son's. This leads me to believe that a longer driveshaft MIGHT help in this situation. I might try this if I can find one for cheap in the corrrect length.

ZachMan said:
Why do people want to be cheap and be determind to tear their Jeep up. I don't care what anyone says if you go 3"+ get an SYE, perferable one like a AA HD SYE and cv shaft.

I don't see how anyone can be a member of any Jeep forum and not automatically know to order an SYE with their lift if they own a 97+ XJ. And if you don't have the cash thats simple, wait till you do. Do it right the first time and everything is always better.

I have owned (2) XJs, both 2000s, both had terrible vibes one at 3" one at 4.5", both had AA HD SYEs sitting in the garage waiting on me to install. Just go ahead and get it over with.

Well down here in Australia the SYE is not nearly as cheap as it is in the USA so most guys here will shim and drop the t-case to get around the vibe problem instead of going the SYE. It's fine saying wait until you have the cash but if I did I'd never have a lift at all and I have easily been able to cure the vibe problem without a SYE.

Cheers
Steve

Back