• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone fly fish ?

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I've always wanted to learn how to fly fish.. and was wondering if anyone in here fly fish ? Well, I want to get started.. buy a rod and some flies. Any good tips/ideas where to get a rod and what size, etc ? I want to fish in rivers and streams for trout.. little ones, not steelhead. Oh, and anyone know of good spots to fly fish here in the NW ? I am down in the Salem, Oregon area.. one last thing.. as the season is changing.. is it a bad time to try to get into fly fishing ?

i just got into it about a year ago. trout fishing in rivers ends the last of october. a good all around river trout pole is a 2 piece 5 wt rod. i have a scientific anglers rod and reel kit. it came as a whole package from sportsmans warehouse. the line it comes with is junk so i bought some rio stuff, much better to cast. i broke my first pole and sent it in to s.a. and they sent me a new one no questions asked. good service. well you could get all your stuff and practice this winter and then be ready by june 1st for the opener. or you can fish lakes in the winter too. it depends on how crazy you wanto get with this, some rods can cost 600 dollars and gear is not cheap either. waders, vest , net, flies, boots, float tube. it's a rush that first time you hook a fish on a dry fly and land it. i have been fishing since i was a kid but now i think i'll only flyfish because to me it's more rewarding. plus i hate seeing people snagging salmon and chucking spinners and spoons. i also hate hooking fish with a treble and they take the entire hook and die for no reason. find a local fly shop in your area and they should beable to set you up. i would spend money on good boots, like chotas. thay really make a big difference. the goal is to be as comfortable out on the water as possible. good luck -brian

Just started too. I just got cheap gear and just this weekend actually started catching fish. Kind of like with my XJ got it out on the trail and have figured out what it needs from there.

Back