• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone familiar with firearm laws here in Texas?

Source matters not. It's all about interpretation.

So, Killerfly; once I turn 18, I can buy a handgun to carry in my car? As long as it is hidden and out of sight? Even without a CHL? Just wanting to make sure everything I read is understood properly in my brain. Im planning on buying myself a SIG 556 this summer to keep in my house and new apartment, things around here are getting pretty hot. I would like to have the opportunity to defend myself and my family if the situation calls for it. But a handgun would definetely be more practical in my Jeep. I do understand that I cannot apply for my CHL until I turn 21 years of age. Am I correct so far?

crap now i cant remember, i shouldnt have said anything and let the experts speak lol

So, Killerfly; once I turn 18, I can buy a handgun to carry in my car? As long as it is hidden and out of sight? Even without a CHL? Just wanting to make sure everything I read is understood properly in my brain. Im planning on buying myself a SIG 556 this summer to keep in my house and new apartment, things around here are getting pretty hot. I would like to have the opportunity to defend myself and my family if the situation calls for it. But a handgun would definetely be more practical in my Jeep. I do understand that I cannot apply for my CHL until I turn 21 years of age. Am I correct so far?

You can't buy a handgun till you turn 21. You can't even be in possession of one till then. You CAN apply for a CHL before you are 21 only if you are in the military, otherwise you need to wait till you are 21.

As far as buying a Sig 556 when you turn 18 .... You CAN do that but I would advise not to. I would look more at a 12 gauge to keep in the car and home. Reason I say that is a better option is there is much more of a chance of putting an attacker or intruder down with one pull of the trigger when using 00 buck that you have with .223/5.56. Next reason is a low buy in with the 12 gauge, it sure would suck to have your $1300-$1500 rifle stolen from home or Jeep. Losing a $200-$250 shotgun is better than losing a rifle.

You also have to keep in mind that if you do have to use it there is a chance that it can be taken for evidence. While that isn't the greatest reason for not using top shelf equipment, it is enough to keep me from carrying anything too high dollar. I myself use a old worn out Remington 870 20" riot gun for home protection and a used Sig P229R or HK USP compact for a concealed carry gun. I could never allow myself to carry a pistol that cost me more than $500. I learned that lesson after having to jump into a pool while carrying a $1000 1911, took me hours to make sure it didn't rust and I still had to have it refinished.

In short ...

Can you buy a handgun when you turn 18 - No
Can you carry a handgun in your car at 18 - No
Can you buy a handgun when you turn 21 - Yes
Can you carry one in your Jeep when you turn 21 Without a CHL - Yes, but only if you meet the stipulations in the law I posted above ( PC 46.02 )
Can you apply for a CHL before you are 21 - No
Can you apply for a CHL the day you turn 21 - Yes

Well, I agree with buying a cheap shotgun; but I really dont want to kill anyone. Even if they are intruders. Also, i've already gotten used to the Sig 556. The weight, the size, the target patterns it has; one of my older friends has one and he's taken me to the range a few times before. I also have a Sig 556 airsoft! :D

26800_1113534255216_1732738044_2139.jpg

26800_1113534095212_1732738044_2139.jpg

26800_1113533935208_1732738044_2139.jpg

Once it's time to buy the real one, i'll mod it to my liking of this:

30931_1123000451865_1732738044_2307.jpg

Thanks for the info on CHL and handgun carry. Didn't know that I couldn't even be in possession of one. Saved my butt on that one.

Only reason I would stray away from a Sig 556 is the super high buy in and lack of available parts. I love to shoot my guns and like to be able to run somewhere in town or order something online when it breaks.

Just an FYI .. that one you posted in the bottom looks to be an SBR that would require a tax stamp. The gun you posted is likely worth about 2300-2500 bucks .... not something I would pick up to take care of a simple intruder. Now if the zombie apocalypse came it would be one of my first choices till it broke. The reason I love the AR15 so much is it is easy as shit to fix, not too expensive, you can mod the shit out of it for cheaper than most other weapons, and parts are available just about everywhere.

Also .... I dont have a desire to kill anyone. I just want that sum bitch to stop, if he dies in the process than that is what had to happen.

If you dont think you are capable of taking a life when in a self defense situation it is likely best to not pick up a gun.

Dont buy a gun because you are used to how it shoots. Buy what feels right. Try several things.

Only reason I would stray away from a Sig 556 is the super high buy in and lack of available parts. I love to shoot my guns and like to be able to run somewhere in town or order something online when it breaks.

Just an FYI .. that one you posted in the bottom looks to be an SBR that would require a tax stamp. The gun you posted is likely worth about 2300-2500 bucks .... not something I would pick up to take care of a simple intruder. Now if the zombie apocalypse came it would be one of my first choices till it broke. The reason I love the AR15 so much is it is easy as shit to fix, not too expensive, you can mod the shit out of it for cheaper than most other weapons, and parts are available just about everywhere.

Well you're probably right. I'll just wait to get a Sig once im older and more stable then.

If you dont think you are capable of taking a life when in a self defense situation it is likely best to not pick up a gun.

That is not the case.

buy a gun because you are used to how it shoots. Buy what feels right. Try several things.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

You need to read and interpret this as you are the one carrying, your ass on the line.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01815I.htm

Thats really all you need to know, the rest is common sense. When it gets to the nitty gritty you should only draw and use your weapon if your life is in danger. If my life or the ones around me are in danger than thats all that matters to me, I can deal with the rest later.

As far as the police and carrying without a CHL, common sense. If your legally allowed to purchase the gun you can carry it in your vehicle. It holds you to a higher standard, don't be stupid you now have added responsibility.

I've been pulled over 3 times while carrying, I was never asked if I was armed. If the officer asks then I would tell him. I'm legal, no worries.

Read the law, from the true source the texas house, and interpret it for yourself.

You need to read and interpret this as you are the one carrying, your ass on the line.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/HB01815I.htm

Thats really all you need to know, the rest is common sense. When it gets to the nitty gritty you should only draw and use your weapon if your life is in danger. If my life or the ones around me are in danger than thats all that matters to me, I can deal with the rest later.

As far as the police and carrying without a CHL, common sense. If your legally allowed to purchase the gun you can carry it in your vehicle. It holds you to a higher standard, don't be stupid you now have added responsibility.

I've been pulled over 3 times while carrying, I was never asked if I was armed. If the officer asks then I would tell him. I'm legal, no worries.

Read the law, from the true source the texas house, and interpret it for yourself.

HB 1815 is not the law!!!!!

It is only a bill that was introduced to modify the current law that I posted.

HB 1815 is not the law!!!!!

It is only a bill that was introduced to modify the current law that I posted.

The point I wanted to make was read something and interpret it for yourself; make sure to get your info from a credible source.

House bill 1815 explains 95% of what you need to know to legally carry a weapon and it answers the specific question the TS asked.

Back