• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone ever work for Wal Mart?

Shorty

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I'm thinking of taking a second job for the holiday season and the local Wal Mart is 24hrs/day-- something I would require as a retail manager for my primary job. I know a retail store is what the manager makes it, and I'm not looking for "store specific" concerns-- I would just like to hear about any personal experiences from working for the company. Anyone here got any experience?

I worked for Sam's Club which is owned by Wal-Mart. I had no complaints as far as the company goes...I was a tire/battery tech for almost 4 years. Any of my complaints came from jackass customers or incompetent management. But overall the company was a good one to work for.

Worked as a Tire & Lube Tech at the Walmart down the street for about a year. Then a tire and battery Tech at the Sams Club next door to the Walmart for about a year. Hardest part was dealing with customers. Second hardest part was working while being understaffed.

If its only a temporary gig, who cares what its like.

I care-- I give 100% to whatever I do and want to enjoy it, whatever it is. I'm not afraid of hard work (and actually would rather some real work) but can't enjoy it if it's just a "burn 'em out and replace them" kinda job.

I care-- I give 100% to whatever I do and want to enjoy it, whatever it is. I'm not afraid of hard work (and actually would rather some real work) but can't enjoy it if it's just a "burn 'em out and replace them" kinda job.

It's either that or you learn to become numb and just do your gig and ignore everyone else.. Sorry my wife has been there for years and they sure can be crap and it's only worse if you go into management..

themud

I admire your work ethic, but a cheap retail outlet is not going to be enjoyable work. Its only going to be work. If you need the money, I'm sure you can handle it for a couple of months.

I will have been working at the Tire & Lube at my Walmart for 10yrs this coming June. No real gripes. Like its been said before some customers are a pain, and there are some people that just don't belong in a management position. I would say that 90% of the time I enjoy my job.

I did - set up a new WM in Southern Idaho and then tried to stay on as "part time"
MGT was great and such but my real job is 5 am to 3 pm and they considered "part time" to be 9PM to 4AM .... um that's 7 hours there 6 hours worked (1 hr lunch)
I just could not do it as it jeopardized my real job.

We left on good terms and Mgr said if I ever needed a position - he would recommend me for a dept mgr position as that's what I do now.

I think WM has great opportunity for those that work hard - the overall MGR for this store that opened - started in another Idaho town as a parking lot cart attendant pick up boy - now he runs his own store.

Back