• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever put a V8 in a XJ?

jonbob said:
Just out of curiosity, how heavy is this trailer you're planning on pulling? I would think that with the frame would need some reinforcement if you're planning on pulling anything heavier than 5,000lbs. My understanding is that a major limitation to towing is the unibody.
I pulled a J10 with mine...

I believe the question to be honestly asked is how heavy a load can safely be pulled by an XJ? With a weight distributing hitch, and electric trailer brakes, then up to 5,000lbs should be ok, but even then I think Jeep was stretching things a bit by giving the XJ a 5,000lb rating. It's not that the hardware isn't up to the task, it's just an XJ is so darn light. Throw in a somewhat short wheelbase and you've got a perfect situation in which your load can be driving you!

I've towed plenty with mine, and have done my share of stupid things = with age comes wisdom. A V8 would be nice for the sound and the cool factor, but that's about it. A stroked 4.6 and the right gearing will provide all the "get r done" any XJ will ever truly need.

The plan is to pull about a 21-24' camper trailer, not being over 5K.... But, would plan to be capable enough to do it in the Colorado mountains occasionally, and be able to do some trails while there. So, good torque and power while being reliable enough to tow say 4-5K across the country, and still be able to run about 33" tires for the trails would be perfect... I know this could be tricky to accomplish, but frame bracing and such would all be installed, along with a possible roll cage for added strength in the frame.... The 4.0L would do good for short distances, but I think it would struggle for the long trips and through the mountains...

I agree that a 4.0 would struggle pulling a trailer like that cross-country. For the kind of length and weight you're talking about I would advise looking into a 3/4 ton full size truck (or van/suv). That would make for a much more comfortable, and practical, cross-country hauler.

i am running a SBC406 pushing over 500hp with a th400 trans and 205 tcase with leaf sprung 1 tons, and i love it i would never go back to a 4.0, the swap isnt too much of a hassle (pending you have some fab skills) the swap itself took about a week to do i used a motor mount kit from Trans-dapt that was designed for putting a sbc into a CJ, all i had to do was shorten the ears a little bit, i used a radiator out of a late 80's oldsmobile with a 3.8, a 14" flex fan and a 15" electric fan, it normally runs between 190 and 205 while crawling, the only thing i dont like about it is the gas mileage, any other questions abot the swap, feel free to PM me

it will take a stock corvette off the line too, that is with 38's,YUP YUP YUP VERY fun to drive if your ever in reno lemme know, ill take ya for a spin

UrbnXj, that sounds like the direction I am wanting to go, but probably not the 500hp.... Although, that would be a blast to drive!!! The reason for not wanting a full size truck, is to be able to tow the trailer cross country,,, and then have my trail rig right there also... What kind of exhaust components did you use, headers or manifolds? was there any special components you needed other than what is in the kit you used? Just trying to get an idea of all/most of the components that would be required before starting the swap... Thanks again for all of your help,,,, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of your swap would ya?

kleake said:
UrbnXj, that sounds like the direction I am wanting to go, but probably not the 500hp.... Although, that would be a blast to drive!!! The reason for not wanting a full size truck, is to be able to tow the trailer cross country,,, and then have my trail rig right there also... What kind of exhaust components did you use, headers or manifolds? was there any special components you needed other than what is in the kit you used? Just trying to get an idea of all/most of the components that would be required before starting the swap... Thanks again for all of your help,,,, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of your swap would ya?

i used a set of hooker block hugger headers, and the rest of the exhaust was all custom, as far as the kit the only kit that i used was the motor mounts, the tranny crossmember/mount i had to custom fabricate.i used a gm powersteering pump, had to have a powersteering line custom made,heres a few pix, if you are curious about anything else lemme know and i will take a pic of how i did it
HPIM0332.jpg

HPIM0333.jpg

steering barely rubs lol

HPIM0334.jpg

HPIM0335.jpg

had to cut a hole in the hood for air cleaner clearance

HPIM0327.jpg

Duramax would be cool, and give all the power ever needed,,, but like there, they would be hard to find here as well, and much more expensive....
How much does your air cleaner stick out, and I noticed you had a couple of spacers under the carb. I'm wondering if an injected intake would clear the hood, or maybe one of the cowl hoods for a clean appearance. Other wise, that doesnt look too bad,,, a snug fit, but probably performs awesome...

What is this device on top of the motor? It appears to say "Edelbrock"?

HPIM0335.jpg

The strange aluminum casting is a mechanical analog fuel device, using low pressure delivery to small siphon feed bowls controlled by miniature toilet tank floats. It only responds to the engine vacuum draw, with an inefficient temperature compensating plate to richen the mixture below 50 degrees - if the driver pulls the cable.

Ancient technology that disappeared about 1986. Now only found on residential and agricultural groundskeeping equipment, and other lesser forms of transportation that carry single passengers. They are usually found in auto parts stores that cater to old school mechanics who order parts for SBC's with the phrase " who cares what year - they're all the same."

However, the cars they drive are annoyingly fast.

>>>>>:D<<<<<<

hasta

SEARCH
In between "new posts" and "Quick Links" on that bar of annoying words above this grouping of organized words.

Originally Posted by XgeekstarX
no, no one has ever put a v8 in a cherokee. i think you're on to something.

LMAO

I wonder if people read.
I think that some people just like to type... maybe to annoy the rest of us that read, or maybe because they just figured out what those little keys with letters in front of the computer do..

:soapbox:
That was mean of me to say... yet I am still going to post it...

kleake said:
Duramax would be cool, and give all the power ever needed,,, but like there, they would be hard to find here as well, and much more expensive....
How much does your air cleaner stick out, and I noticed you had a couple of spacers under the carb. I'm wondering if an injected intake would clear the hood, or maybe one of the cowl hoods for a clean appearance. Other wise, that doesnt look too bad,,, a snug fit, but probably performs awesome...

im running a 2" torque-swirl spacer and the other one is the stock GM to edelbrock adapter plate with out thse in there it shoud clear the hood. but a tpi setup would definatly fit

and yes its carburated but with the electric fuelpump it will damn near run upside down

Ford 302 is a very nice, reliable lightwieght v8. The 302 in my work van has a quarter-million miles and runs well.

That aside, I've seen an '84 Wagoneer with a Dodge 318, and have an '84 Cherokee with a 401 (that did NOT really fit!) whose engine was just removed... mostly by cutting the body/frame around it with a sawzall!

Back