• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone Ever Had A Hernia Before?

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
I did. I got a right inguinal hernia about 2 years ago and had surgery a few months later. Today I was helping my friend move a 300 pound tv. It was 4 of us lifting total so I wasn't lifting anything too heavy at that point. This actually happened before we moved the Tv. I was helping get the tv positioned on the tailgate by pushing it into place, not lifting. Immediately I felt something over the site of incision/scar/stitches and it has been sore ever since. I guess I would know at this point though if I actually did some kind of damage right? I wouldn't describe what I am having as pain, just soreness, kinda like a pulled/strained muscle.

Any insight would be great. I'm trying to avoid an expensive and unecessary trip to the doctor...

I've had two.

One when I was around a year old, and another when I was about 6. Both required surgery.

Nothing else to add, since I was to young to remember any details.:dunce:

I had one from doing massive leg squats at the gym. Felt the tear, did not feel right afterward, and had a huge lump in the nether region. I was chicken to have it looked at and lived with it for two years. I occasionally pushed the intestines back inside the tear when it got bad.

One day I suffered from a strangulated intestine. It was the worst pain I ever felt in my life. I wanted to die. Went home, layed out flat, and felt the intestine finally pull back inside. Immediate relief.

After that, I scheduled myself to surgery. It was the best procedure I could have imagined and I was back at work less than a week later. Today, I have no ill affects from the hernia, but I believe I have another one on the other side as I feel the same pulling sensation I had before, only not as great.

Get it checked out. Don't die.

I had one from doing massive leg squats at the gym. Felt the tear, did not feel right afterward, and had a huge lump...

It was the best procedure I could have imagined and I was back at work less than a week later.

Get it checked out. Don't die.

1st comment: Holy crap!!! Pushing your intestines back in!! Yikes! Funny part is you could do that but were scared of the Dr. Then again guess I don't blame you.

2nd comment: I had a hernia once. It felt more bothersome than painful. It produced a small lump around the groin area (all joking aside) right next to where hip meets the abdoman. I was chuckin hay bales again in no time.

I'd get to the dr sooner tha later.

I wouldn't describe what I am having as pain, just soreness, kinda like a pulled/strained muscle.

Any insight would be great. I'm trying to avoid an expensive and unecessary trip to the doctor...
Keep an eye on it. If you did re-tear it the lump will come back. It may be smaller but it will grow again. Don't ask me how I know.
:wstupid:

i had one and every once and a while it will be sore but my doc said that will happen ... but yea just look for the tell tale lump other then that

I did. I got a right inguinal hernia about 2 years ago and had surgery a few months later. Today I was helping my friend move a 300 pound tv. It was 4 of us lifting total so I wasn't lifting anything too heavy at that point. This actually happened before we moved the Tv. I was helping get the tv positioned on the tailgate by pushing it into place, not lifting. Immediately I felt something over the site of incision/scar/stitches and it has been sore ever since. I guess I would know at this point though if I actually did some kind of damage right? I wouldn't describe what I am having as pain, just soreness, kinda like a pulled/strained muscle.

STOP asking for advice from us idiots. Go see a DR. make sure your not focked up. You will have piece of mind if they tell you everything is all right.

A strangulated intestine can kill you.

I too have had a groinal hernia. I went 5 years without having my checked by the doctor due to no insurance. Mine grew to the size of a large orange When I FINALLY went to the doctor, he scheduled me for emergency surgery the next morning. He said it was the largest he had seen in his career. That is not something to be proud of.

How Odd -

I just got one 2 weeks ago... Coughed very hard and something snapped...

3 days later I could barely walk.

saw Doctor - got Vicodin and an appt with surgeon.

pain went away after a week.

saw surgeon yesterday...

its a hernia...

go in for sugery on 2-20...

I've seent the surgery on TV - it doesnt look too bad...

doc says:
48 hours - cant lift anything or take shower

after 48 hours limited to lifting 25 lbs. (my 2 yr old) for 6 weeks

says after surgery - should never have to worry about that side again ever...

Ken

How Odd -

I just got one 2 weeks ago... Coughed very hard and something snapped...

3 days later I could barely walk.

saw Doctor - got Vicodin and an appt with surgeon.

pain went away after a week.

saw surgeon yesterday...

its a hernia...

go in for sugery on 2-20...

I've seent the surgery on TV - it doesnt look too bad...

doc says:
48 hours - cant lift anything or take shower

after 48 hours limited to lifting 25 lbs. (my 2 yr old) for 6 weeks

Ken

God I hope that isn't a sign. I haven't noticed a bulge yet, and with it being two days later now that is a good sign.

I'll be the first to tell you that there is nothing to the surgery and you have nothing to worry about. It is one of the most commonly performed procedures in the world. I had no complications whatsoever. I didn't even take any painkillers!!! I wasn't even in any pain, just uncomfortable. I was up and moving around in hours like nothing had happened. The bruising and swelling is pretty bad though....

Follow EXACTLY what the doctor tells you to do before and after. Personally at this point I wouldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk.

BTW...you are going to have trouble urinating so expect that. Be prepared to stand there for several minutes before anything comes out. Hell you probably won't even feel it. Try not to take any painkillers whatsoever unless you really need them. Painkillers cause constipation, which is definitely not something you want after hernia surgery...

Ken

Uh...I have one that disagrees with him. The doctor even used one of them screens to make the repair stronger.
:dunno:

Uh...I have one that disagrees with him. The doctor even used one of them screens to make the repair stronger.
:dunno:

maybe I can talk the wife into getting an upgrade to stainless steel mesh... you know. incase I want bigger tires later...

Well, it has been 5 days now since I was experiencing symptoms of a hernia. Those have all but subsided now except for some slight tenderness in my right groin, mostly I think from poking and prodding the area to check for a bulge. At this point I'm ready to rule out a hernia and go with a pulled muscle. However, I am still going to the doctor in 10 days and having it checked out when I have my physical. Thank god I can stop worrying so much now, I thought I was going to bring on a heart attack...

I was born with an ingueinal hernia on one side. They fixed it then the other side blew out. All in all, I had four different hernia surgeries, on the fourth one they put kevlar mesh in, so I guess I'm good now. Every once in a while I will get like a strained or slightly pulled muscle feeling when I do intense or heavy lifting, but the doc told me this was to be expected because the muscles down there are tightening up to protect it or what not. Wasn't too bad of a surgery as I recall, my last one was when I was 15.

So does this mean that if you're lifting heavy stuff that you should sqeeze your butt cheeks together - to hold stuff in & prevent tearing?

Back