• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever fell asleep in the shower???

MogifiedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious...I went 4wheelin' today at windrock and got home dead tired and decided to take a shower real quick...long story short... I woke up about an hour later when all of the hot water ran out.

Last edited:
MogifiedXJ said:
Just curious...I went 4wheelin' today at windrock and got home dead tired and decided to take a shower real quick...long story short... I woke up about an hour later when all of the hot water ran out.

It's a sign you're becomming an old man.

That's DAMN tired. :speepin:

Rev Den said:
You must be a Teamster.

:D

Rev

No, I'm not union but I don't do much at work either

mdl said:
It's a sign you're becomming an old man.

Hell, I'm still in my 20's

OT said:
I did when I was drunk, once.
I woke up when the hypothermia started to set in.

Been there and done that too. The next morning I was wishing the shower would have just ended it and put me out of my misery..

Last edited:
MogifiedXJ said:

I've done that. After 2 weeks in the field, and a couple of beers:D It takes skill to sleep standing up...

mrrbby said:
I've done that. After 2 weeks in the field, and a couple of beers:D It takes skill to sleep standing up...

Yeah - that's like the first sleep you're catching that week being on the grinder/parade ground on Thursday...

When you get to the point where you can sleep through the parade, not be disturbed by the hot air from the podium and the band music, and still obey commands and march in step without waking up, you're tired. Something officers never seem to understand, and enlisted men pick up all too quickly...

5-90

5-90 said:
Yeah - that's like the first sleep you're catching that week being on the grinder/parade ground on Thursday...

When you get to the point where you can sleep through the parade, not be disturbed by the hot air from the podium and the band music, and still obey commands and march in step without waking up, you're tired. Something officers never seem to understand, and enlisted men pick up all too quickly...

5-90
I'll just spoil the fun by pointing out this is a well-documented psychological phenomenon called microsleep that occurs in very sleep-deprived individuals. Its weird. For anyone that's never really been that tired, try staying awake for 4 or 5 days straight. It does no lasting harm to your body or mind, but you'll be pretty f**ked up after about 2 days...

Beej said:
I'll just spoil the fun by pointing out this is a well-documented psychological phenomenon called microsleep that occurs in very sleep-deprived individuals. Its weird. For anyone that's never really been that tired, try staying awake for 4 or 5 days straight. It does no lasting harm to your body or mind, but you'll be pretty f**ked up after about 2 days...

Thanks. I'd figured it might have a name, but I'd never learned what it was (my last course in psych was in high school - about 20 years ago...)

Two days is about the limit for normal altertness, 4-5 days won't cause harm (but you think it will, if you ever make it that far...) and I think you start hallucinating around 7-8 days. 10 or more fairly guarantees a "psychotic episode" - but even that can be recovered, with sufficient deep sleep.

As I recall, it's not the body that needs sleep - it can get by with simple "rest," or "idle time" where it isn't doing anything. It's the mind that needs sleep - and it wants REM sleep. Dreaming is a sort of "mental housecleaning" that allows the mind to process and either store or discard the events of the day.

There's also a phenomenon called "instant REM," where someone goes right into REM sleep without progressing through the intervening stages - this is also common in people who are expected to maintain high levels of altertness for extended periods of time, with infrequent and unpredictable sleep breaks. It's the mind's adaptation to not having enough time for "housecleaning" - so it goes right into it without the normal "preamble." I seem to recall that "instant REM" sleep can occur at times when it is needed - but normal sleep is also possible under normal conditions.

Am I remembering right, or am I off base, Beej?

5-90

Beej said:

Mmmm. I don't get much sleep though the week and I normally crash on the weekend so maybe that's my problem.

Fell asleep under a torque wrench on my trackbar while doing the 4.5" lift...of course it was about 3am...

Ive read some studies that the Army has been doing on a drug that will keep helicopter pilots awake and alert for 48 hours straight. Of course you have to catch back up on your sleep afterwards though.

Michaelarchangelo said:
Ive read some studies that the Army has been doing on a drug that will keep helicopter pilots awake and alert for 48 hours straight. Of course you have to catch back up on your sleep afterwards though.
I think the unoffical term for that would be "meth"...

5-90, pretty much bang on, except that you can do it for a very long time with no real ill effects. Hallucinations are reported but not proven. I believe the world record is over 11 days. Anyone can do 48 hours easily without med assistance. Try it sometime, you won't even feel messed up after about 30 hours. The crazy thing about sleep deprivation is even after 11 days, all you need is 8 hours of sleep to completely return to normal...

Yucca-Man said:
Fell asleep under a torque wrench on my trackbar while doing the 4.5" lift...of course it was about 3am...
I've fallen asleep under my Jeep also, and in the shower. In the shower it was a shower/tub and I sat down on the edge resting my forehead on my hands and elbows on knees... have you guys actually fallen asleep standing up in the shower?

In April I stayed up longer than I ever had, a little over 60 hours, the hardest part was about 30-40 then it got easier. One crazy busy period of time in High-School I had minor halucinations from sleep deprivation. I was working in an empty warehouse and repeatedly saw people in my peripheral vision, then when I'd look right at them they weren't there.

Back