• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody made their own bar pins for shocks?

Adam96

NAXJA Forum User
I just got some new shocks for my Jeep that are extended for my lift. They don't come with the bar pins in the bottom for the front shocks though. I tried to press the old ones out of my other shocks but they don't seem to come out very easily, as I almost broke a bench vice trying to do it. And I would assume that coming out that hard, they can't go back in too easily. I was thinking of a piece of round metal with holes drilled in it for the bolts to go through, instead of having the flat ends....maybe. I don't have time to order the bar pin eliminators as I need the shocks on by tomorrow night, I'm driving without shocks at all right now, not exactly safe. Anybody got any good tips on this? Thanks!

Use the sway bar brackets on the rear axle plates.you have to drill 1 hole in each bracket and cut them off at one of the holes.But thats what I'm runnin.I'll try to post some pics but dial-up sucks!!!!

JACK

Edit:At one of exsisting holes

1sickhick said:
Use the sway bar brackets on the rear axle plates.you have to drill 1 hole in each bracket and cut them off at one of the holes.But thats what I'm runnin.I'll try to post some pics but dial-up sucks!!!!
JACK
Edit:At one of exsisting holes
Maybe ok for a temp fix,but a bad idea for a permanent solution.

1sickhick said:
Plenty of threads on this,but it rotates the pivot point 90*,the shock normally '"pivots on the bolt/bushing thru the travel range!

Oh s#!$!!!Now I see YEP bad idea.the shock won't pivet the way there aspose to.Thanks for makeing me think I thouht you were full of it for a sec.Imma dumb

JACK

So nobody has done this seriously? I know somebody has done this before, I've seen a lot of aftermarket shocks that come without the pins in there and they have to come from somewhere. I wonder if a shop that deals with suspension parts would have anything that would work for that. What did you guys do for this,,,,,

Search!Theres a couple threads at the bottom of this page!!!!!

I used Zep45 and a big hammer/brass punch to remove the old bars from my stock shocks then wire brushed them really good on my grinder to get them nice and smooth. Gave them a good coating with the Zep and used a big ass (read 12" long) pair of channel locks to "press" them into the ends of my new shocks. MAKE DAMN SURE YOU DONT NEED YOUR OLD SHOCKS FOR ANYTHING, THEY GET BENT REALLY BADLY.

When I replaced my shocks I used a torch (map gas for soldering plumbing) to melt the old busing around the bar pin. After a lot of black smoke 1 hit with a hammer you have your bar pins. Thun lube up the the new shock bushing and push the bar pin in. cheap and easy.

Use windex on the old bushing. Soak the shock eye in windex and the pin should slide out. When pressing the pin into your new shock use windex and spray the shock eye with windex and tap it in with a rubber or dead blow hammer. Dont use a normal hammer as you could miss and hit the shock. Good luck.

Buy a cheap shock from a Geo Metro. Press the bar pin from there, use it. They're like $15 and probably a lot easier and safer than making one.

You just need a can of silicon spray, a good hammer, a vise, and plenty of commitment. Those bar pins will come out. Sometimes it pulls out the whole bushing from the shock, but who cares, then you can get the bushing off the bar pin even if you have to cut it off. I've changed shocks a ton of times and always was able to get the bar pin out, though it was usually a challenge.

I have made my own bar pins, also. I took a 1/2" bolt (I think it was 1/2"), ground a flat surface on each end, and drilled holes through the ends. Really, pretty simple. I'm curently running those bar pins on the rear of the XJ with my Bilstein shocks.

Goatman said:
I have made my own bar pins, also. I took a 1/2" bolt (I think it was 1/2"), ground a flat surface on each end, and drilled holes through the ends. Really, pretty simple. I'm curently running those bar pins on the rear of the XJ with my Bilstein shocks.
I can't believe that's never occurred to me, as simple as it is.

Back