• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any thoughts on a Christmas get-together?

SandySteve

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
We have two Meet and Greet events coming up. The first one is November 22nd (Olive Garden Valley Location) and the second one is December 20th at Village Inn in Roy. Do we want to make one of these do double-duty as a holiday celebration?

Or should we discuss a separate get-together for the holidays? Both of the M&G's are on a Friday evening which usually leaves Israel out due to work.

As an alternative, Saturday December 7th is designated as a Snow Run. That may be a good time to do the holiday celebration. Do a trail run not too far out and then hit a restaurant, for example. If we start planning now, and advertise we may even have a decent turn out.

You better get a thread up.

Most people plan Christmas stuff WAAAAAAY ahead of time. If you don't give them enough notice, nobody will show up.

At least that's been my experience.

Oh and YAAAAAY for you guys wanting to do this. I've missed our chapter Christmas parties.

Also, check with Josh (I think) about the Pizza place in Olympus Cove or whatever town thats in. We did two there, they were super accommodating and cheap.

Sounds good to me.
Where is a good place to do a snow run. Any ideas on how to get done with the trail at a certain time to make it to said place for dinner/partay?

Sounds good to me.
Where is a good place to do a snow run. Any ideas on how to get done with the trail at a certain time to make it to said place for dinner/partay?

If you wanted my advice I'd say don't put them together. Runs and meals never seem to work out. Our chapter seems to have a problem with people making all day commitments to anything.

Better to plan one day for the dinner and one day for the run.

Also...tons and tons of people have spouses who don't like to wheel but they do like to socialize. Same with kids. You would have more success getting a family to attend the Christmas party if there wasn't a run attached to it.

If you wanted my advice I'd say don't put them together. Runs and meals never seem to work out. Our chapter seems to have a problem with people making all day commitments to anything.

Better to plan one day for the dinner and one day for the run.

Also...tons and tons of people have spouses who don't like to wheel but they do like to socialize. Same with kids. You would have more success getting a family to attend the Christmas party if there wasn't a run attached to it.

Agreed. I just can't see us getting off of a trail with no mishaps and getting somewhere else at a certain time. And the family thing.

I posted the dates for the M&Gs just for guidelines. Mix em up if we can in order to do this. I think it is easier to go wheelin with the people you socialize with. Kind of get a feel for who is out there. <--- from new guys perspective.

I have been seriously lacking on my posts. Life is busy.....blah,blah,blah. For that I am sorry. I should have been on top of the M&Gs but have slacked bad for the last little bit.

TL;DR: Lets keep the run and party separate.

Pat's BBQ in SLC could be a venue option for the Christmas party.......I'm going there on Friday for lunch and can get some info.

Oh experienced ones, where have you guys held past xmas parties? What did you do there? How long did it last, and was it a big crowd?

Jeff, did you get any info on Pat's BBQ?

Back when we has tons of money we did a really nice party at Granny Annie's in Kaysville. Back then the chapter was a much more active place and we probably fed 90-110 people. I honestly don't remember but it was a big group.
It was expensive. I think it cost somewhere around $14 a plate. Seems like we wrote a check for around $1500 bucks.

Since then we have done two at a little pizza joint in the Olympus cove area. A lot less fancy but a lot less money too. I'm thinking it was like $7 a plate for buffet and we just had people pay for their own as they came in. They had a big room in the back and we were there most of the night (6:30-10ish)

Josh Newren knew the owners. You might contact him. See if he still has an in with them.

Talked to Newren. His friends don't own it anymore but it might be worth calling them.

I "think" it's Rocky Mountain pizza company in Olympus cove.

Someone brought up the idea of white elephant gifts that are jeep themed. I love this idea.

So it looks like Pats BBQ will be ok. I have not really got a chance to talk to the person in charge yet but I was told that 20-30 people can fit in one of their dining rooms with no charge.
I am going to email the manager and see if that form of communication is better served.

So I just spoke with the manager at Pats....
Fri and Sat nights are $100 an hour for up to 60 People
About the same for 40.

So how did Lonestar look Steve?

So I just spoke with the manager at Pats....
Fri and Sat nights are $100 an hour for up to 60 People
About the same for 40.

So how did Lonestar look Steve?

Wow. That's a lot of money to reserve a room. Thanks for checking into it.

Back