• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any teachers?

IXNAYXJ said:
Bend is actually considered a High Desert, if I'm not mistaken. Beautiful country but very dry, and not anything like the typical evergreen coated Western Washington ideal.

-----Matt-----
Yes Bend is considered high desert, but if you look at the link, everything to the west is lush green forest, and everything to the east is high desert. Average temps are low 80s in July and August. Rain fall is about 12in with 300 sunnydays a year. Im sure if you were to go east or west from bend those temps and rain fall will change. West=more rain and cooler, East less rain and hotter. Sounds pretty damn good to me. As far as the schools go, Im sure Washington has a lot more Special Ed kids to choose from.:D

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=bend,+oregon&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=10&ll=44.056999,-121.305542&spn=0.480623,1.384277&t=h&om=1&iwloc=addr

What kind of critters are up that way?

IXNAYXJ said:
The most important thing to come out of Bend is, without question, the Deschutes Brewery, home of Mirror Pond Pale Ale. :cheers:

-----Matt-----

Don't forget the even better: BLACK BUTTE PORTER!! Go to your corner, drink your Mirror Pond and leave the BBP to me :wave1: .

Critters: White Tail & Mule deer, Elk in certain areas. Black bear, Coyotes, cougar, bobcat, Brown bear rumored in the far Nortern Cascades (otherwise known as British Columbia....) Mountain goats in rare locations.
The different climates on each side of the mountains provide totally different mixes. You can find most anything within a couple hour drive.

Last edited:
Metal Thrasher said:
The different climates on each side of the mountains provide totally different mixes. You can find most anything within a couple hour drive.

Damn right. From where I live I can drive a couple hours North and hunt snow goose, Canadas, and ducks in the Skagit Valley. I can drive an hour or less South and fish Steelhead in the Puyallup or the hunt waterfowl in the Nisqually Basin. Head East about 2hrs and I'm hunting upland game, doves, and grouse. Same areas out there will get a hunter or photographer excellent shots of the animals mentioned in the previous post. Head West a few minutes and you're along the Puget Sound, where it's possible to drop a line in and catch saltwater species of fish and crab. All that and I live in the fourth largest school district in the State. While not the greatest setup, we have many bus routes for public transportation. There is also a wonderful library system with branches everywhere. Police coverage in the Puget Sound area is excellent, with many cities funding more than double the average coverage for the population. Fire and EMS are some of the best in the country, with major trauma centers located in Seattle. We also have some of the most experienced airlift pilots, combining SAR operations from not only the county, but by the military units close by. If you're a geek, there's a wonderful HAM radio repeater network along the Cascades, too. :rof:

Ok, so uhhh...yeah. :D

shhhh... you guys.... :shhh:

(whispered) don't let the Californians hear you...

Sniggs said:
shhhh... you guys.... :shhh:

(whispered) don't let the Californians hear you...

Why not? I lived in a neighborhood in Redding California where more than half the residents had moved from either WA or Oregon. When I sent my sister in CA some pictures of a park in Everett her son's teacher recognized the park from her childhood. The Tillinghast seed Co. in La Conner - I lived next to their son in Weaverville, CA.

Yep I'm one of those Californians who moved North.... But a lot more move South than people up here think. Every place has it's pros and cons.

Metal Thrasher said:
Every place has it's pros and cons.

Wiser words were never spoken. While I did know that when I lived in Missouri it didn't truly hit me until I moved here and found out how bad a move, professionally speaking, this was.

Phil...you paint a sweet picture of where you're at. Sounds like a ton of variety, which is neat.

Back