• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any potential problems with "Zip Tie Shift" Mod?

I have to agree with John on this to a point. 4sp OD trannies don't use a kick down they use a TV (Throtle valve) or Line pressure valve to control internal pressures within the valve body and trans. A shift kit is much more complex than a misadjusted cable and cause the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 accumulators to come up to pressure faster causing quicker shifts. They also use stiffer spring inside of the VB and redirect flow for harder shifts. When you put a shift kit in a 4sp OD trans TV pressure remains they same. Misadjusting the cable (too tight) will have some of the same affects by filling the accumulators fast therefore shifting faster and harder but it also affects other circuits in a very complex system, which includes band pressure.

But, I do know that having the TV cable too loose is far more devistating than too tight. If you must have it misadjusted too tight is far better than too loose. My personal recommendation would be to either leave it alone or make sure it is adjusted properly. The best way to a hard shift is through a shift kit. Unfortunately I've never seen one for the AW4.

HTH,
B-loose

In any way the tranny will die. Your either gonna burn it up or leave cogs on the ground. You might as well put it back the way it was.

Your going to have to look it up. I'm not sure where they sell those things. Never had an auto so I never had to think about it or even consider it. I'd imagine asking that at perofrmance shops or parts stores, they would have a much better idea than I would.

Last edited:
I know that they have valve bodys for sale but not sure if there are any "shift kits" available. I don't remember the site off hand, but I know it is a Toyota Supra high proformance site. If you know your trannys, you know that the AW4 is almost identical to the transmission that Toyota used in their Supras, so many of the parts are interchangeable. I'll do a search and see if I can't find that site.

I just read the JU part. He took the zip ties off, and had originally said to depress the button and properly adjust the cable. NOT just add zip ties.

The AW-4 in the XJ has a set stall speed of 2100rpm...other than firmer shifting there is nothing additional to really add to it to make it perform better. BTW, the "zip tie" shift mod will not work on the newer intake manifolds (99-up) as it causes the throttle cable to scrape against it at WOT.

So you just press the button, pull the cable all the way out, release the button, go inside and floor the gas until it stops clicking and then it is set correctly?

got firm shifts out of this but with 30x9.5 tires and 3.55 gears, my 3-4 shift was all screwed up, like it would stay in 4th at anything past 45mph. that really blows.

It seems to me that adjusting your line pressure cable like that, all you are doing is fooling your transmission into thinking you are at WOT (wide open throttle). The clutches would apply faster and hold tighter. Does it make the shifts any firmer at WOT, or are they still the same?

If it doesn't change the shift firmness at WOT, then what is the advantage? Firmer shifts at part throttle won't make the jeep any faster, and will increase stress on other driveline components. Firm shifts when you don't need them can also cause controll issues (ice/snow/rain).

As long as it doesn't change the shifts at WOT, it shouldn't be too hard on the transmission. If it does change the shifts at WOT, then you could run into some problems as the seals weren't designed to handle that much pressure.

If you really want to see a transmission blow up, adjust it to shift soft at WOT. You will burn up the clutches pretty quick.

Prepmech said:
It seems to me that adjusting your line pressure cable like that, all you are doing is fooling your transmission into thinking you are at WOT (wide open throttle). The clutches would apply faster and hold tighter. Does it make the shifts any firmer at WOT, or are they still the same?

If it doesn't change the shift firmness at WOT, then what is the advantage? Firmer shifts at part throttle won't make the jeep any faster, and will increase stress on other driveline components. Firm shifts when you don't need them can also cause controll issues (ice/snow/rain).

As long as it doesn't change the shifts at WOT, it shouldn't be too hard on the transmission. If it does change the shifts at WOT, then you could run into some problems as the seals weren't designed to handle that much pressure.

If you really want to see a transmission blow up, adjust it to shift soft at WOT. You will burn up the clutches pretty quick.

amen. zip tie mod makes part throttle shifts quicker, not wot. ive noticed poor performance at part throttle and an inability to floor it and have the trans kick down to third at anything above 45mph. suxxorz. and i cant figure out resetting the black plastic D button thing now. it never clicks? push button and pull on slidey plastic thingy that cable passes through, and press the gas pedal down all the way. right? whats wrong?

SALVATION!

My apologies for reviving this mummy....but this is where I got my idea.

As most are aware the "zip tie" shift mod is defeated by the factory TV cable adjusting mechanism, but the idea is sound. Here is a pic of what I did....

I cut the head off of a large zip tie and placed it over the release tab, then I used another zip tie to depress the release tab with it. Securing the throttle return spring to the cable using two smaller zip ties and hooking the opposite end to the stud on the valve cover. This allows for the firmest shifts the transmission will allow while automatically adjusting for WOT situations. The throttle return spring will retension the cable by itself when the throttle is released. Been running this way for thousands of city miles w/o trouble. Trans fluid is still nice and pink with no burnt smell at all. For those who have any doubts about this mod, just remember it's your rig so do what you want.:conceited

DSC00770.jpg

What year is that and why does it look so much different than mine? You have any more close ups? Once I get my jeep back this might be first in line.

And that spring running to the valve cover and the ziptie, thats not stock correct. The throttle return spring is built into the throttle body, unless this is something else you did?

Slo-Sho said:
1990 Renix with slew of junkyard goodies. The throttle return spring I found at AdvanceAuto in the 'HELP' aisle.
Yeah i noticed the 99+ intake and rerouted intake. So that spring wasnt there before correct? You just attached it to the ziptie thats around the cable at any point? How much firmer are the shifts? This looks like a nice idea.

Slo-Sho said:
I don't think I could go back to stock. The firm, crisp shifts are too addicting.
Pics of how you did it?

Back