• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any NAXJA peeps working at a Springs Dodge dealer??

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
I need to have the computer in the Dakota reset to get my speedo right (Jet module was a non-returnable-piece-of-nonworking-shit)... have we got and folks working for a local mopar place?? Used to be a dude at faricy, but my memory won't take me back that far...:doh:

Naw, Joe works at Firestone on woodman. I just don't want the service writer to think its cool to charge me a c note for a 5 minute computer flash.

tried to PM him, no longer an active NAXJA user...

Thanks for the effort - I think you were right... Name was Dave and he scored me a decent deal on some color match spray cans for the XJ's TJ flares IIRC

hmmm... what does your Friday morning look like, Sam? How long do you think the flash will take? The family and I will be on the way to Wyoming...

I have been researching the "how" since many folks say their stupid dealers can't do it (I think they can)... This (from here: http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/pinion_factor.htm)

connect the DRB to the vehicle's data link connector, and turn the key to the "ON" position. From the main menu, select "DRB Standalone." Then select the diagnostics option for the appropriate model year of the vehicle. Next, choose the module you want to program the electronic pinion factor into. For cars and minivans, select "Transmission," and for trucks and Grand Cherokees, select "Antilock Brakes" from the Diagnostics menu. After the DRB reads the module information from the vehicle, select the "Miscellaneous" option. Under the Miscellaneous menu, choose "Pinion Factor," which may be displayed as "Tooth and Tire" on some vehicles. Match the OEM tire size on the vehicle with one of the tire sizes displayed on the DRB III. If the actual tire size isn't supported by the OEM table, you won't be able to program the pinion factor.

and this (from here: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23067)

1) Have the tech plug his hand held into the OBD port and turn it on. A menu screen comes up with a bunch of info. Select YES to go to next screen.

2) On this screen select menu item 1, "DRB III Standalone" to go to next screen.

3) On this screen select menu item 1, "1998-2005" to go to next screen.

4) On this screen select menu item 1, "All" to go to next screen.

5) On this screen select menu item 5, "Antilock Brakes" to go to next screen.

6) On this screen select menu item 9, "Miscellaneous" to go to next screen.

7) On this screen select menu item 2, "Set Pinion Factor" to go to next screen.

8) On this screen there are a several tire sizes and Other. Select menu item 8, "Other" to go to next screen.

9) On this screen there are two items, an Axle Size, (9.25" on the 1500's and 10.5" on the 25/3500's) and Other. Select menu item 1, "9.25" Axle" (10.5 in your case) to go to next screen.

10) You have now arrived at the point in this process where you will enter the revolutions per mile for your tire size. Select the menu box for RPM. It will indicate 400. Here is where the tech will change the revs per mile with either the up or down arrow. It will take a while to go from 400 to 604 (for the BFG 315's) so be patient. As you are waiting on him to finish, take this time to let him know that he shouldn't charge you more than say $20.00, especially since you trained him on this procedure.

11) The last step is to select "OK" and the changes will be excepted, then the hand held will display "Reprogramming Successful".

I switched from 265/70r16 to 285/75r16, and my speedo is off by something like 11%. Pinion factor for the new tires should be +/-614 revs per mile.

hmmm... what does your Friday morning look like, Sam? How long do you think the flash will take? The family and I will be on the way to Wyoming...

I have been researching the "how" since many folks say their stupid dealers can't do it (I think they can)... This (from here: http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/pinion_factor.htm)

and this (from here: http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23067)

I switched from 265/70r16 to 285/75r16, and my speedo is off by something like 11%. Pinion factor for the new tires should be +/-614 revs per mile.

It's very easy to update. Maybe 5 mins the first time to find the right menu. However it can take a little trial and error to get correct. Calculating the revs usually doesn't work right. You should take the percentage you speedo is off at let's say, 70mph. And then apply that to your existing revs per mile and retest.

I'm pretty free Friday. I have the day off work since I have family in town.

Sam -- PM me your digits/addy, and I'll let you know when we are on the road Friday, and whether we have time to swing by... let me know what I can bring you for your services, too man, much appreciated! :cheers:

I will double check with GPS how far off I am... according to the interweb, I should only be off by like 6.8%, but I'm pretty sure its actually twice that.

Sam is the man - knocked it out in less than 5 minutes with his DRGIII when we stopped in Ft. Fun on the way to Wyoming last Friday. Tested on I-25 between mile markers just outside of town, took 1:02 to go one mile at 60mph. Close enough! Much thanks, Sam, I owe you one! :cheers:

No problem. Happy to help. For as long as I have had it it's rarely been used for things like this for others. And I don't often need to reprogram my own tire sizes.

I've programmed a bunch of xj remotes because they can be shipped to me with the receiver board. But that's about it.

Also, use a GPS/cell phone and see how accurate it is at some different speeds. Might be able to dial it in if its not linear.

Back