• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any larger than stock gas tanks out there?

Actually, the problem with the Pinto was a lack of protection around the back of the tank.

The most famous case, and the biggest cash award, was when a 3/4 ton van rammed into the ass end of a stationary Pinto at something like 65 mph--the whole accident was definitely FoMoCo's fault, the speeding, the drunken driver of the van, and failing to build a small car fuel tank to withstand that kind of impact (Ok, serious about building a better tank).

The only downside to modding the stock tank to 25 gallons is remembering to never fill it full unless you are going on a long drive/trail ride, especially in hot weather. Read GoJeeps write up on that mod, he covers things pretty well.

I spoke with Gen-Right recently. I have on of their tanks (about 24-ish gallons) in my '98. They are still making them, they have increased ground clearance since I got mine, but retained the capacity. I routinely get near 400 miles off my tank on highway driving. Give them a call... they told me if you wanted one, they were going to run another batch soon.

Apparently there is a significant difference wit the 96 (or maybe 97) and up tanks, might have something to do wit hthe computer or something...
Anyways, the old ones won't work in the newer vehicles.

Kittrell - aerotanks doesn't seem to list my year on their site, so I called them and sent an email with all my specifics. Thanks for the link. ;)

In 96 they went with a returnless fuel system, the tanks themselves are physically similar if not identical, but the fuel pump sending unit contains a regulator. An aftermarket fuel cell won't be set up for that by default but it's not an insurmountable problem.

Nope. The tanks are nothing a like. The pre 96 are steel, have the fuel pump at the front on an angle, with the pump secures with an steel ring, and have an external pressure regulator. The 96+ tanks are plastic, have the pump on the top of the tank, have the regulator attached to the pump and the pump is secured with a large plastic nut sort of thing.

A bit of confusion here... Talyn is correct, mostly. 96 down the tank itself is the same. 95 down, the fuel delivery system is the same. In 96 they changed the fuel delivery system to the returnless setup and came up with a real wrongheaded, retarded fuel level sender, and then in 97 they switched to the plastic tank and new fuel pump assembly with a much less retarded fuel level sender. 96 has the fuel pressure regulator and check valve inside the tank, 97 and up have it mounted to the outside of the pump assembly - on top of the tank. The 97 tank will bolt up into the 96 down chassis, but you need to add a heat shield to keep the exhaust from melting it (part number is 5210 0338AA) and the fuel fill / vent hoses are different diameters (fill hose is much larger, vent hose is much smaller, I ended up using boiling water to expand mine.) Replacement hoses would be part numbers 5210 0132 (vent) and 5210 0131AC (fill) and you may or may not also need fuel fill neck 5210 0288AA, I'm not sure.

As for extended capacity tanks - don't know of any, other than those just listed. Personally I would lean toward getting some of those neat stackable fuel pancake tanks.

Thanks for the continued input on this guys!

And I googled the Jaz one, came back with a bunch of hits, and one guy on NAXJA selling his! lol
From September '09... :( lol

I got my whole MJ for less than that... I'd rather buy a pair of 5 gallon jerry cans for like 30 or 40 bucks and spend the rest on something else, like armor, gas, and beer.

Back