• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any advice for a long drive?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
Im gonna be driving down to Port Aransas here in Texas for spring break. I just want to make sure I can make it down there and back without issue. I also plan on driving down the national seashore witch has some pretty loose sand. So what are some things I should check before I leave? Less than 1000 miles ago the headgasket blew, but we got all that fixed along with a new radiator and hoses. Its a 93 5speed with around 215k miles.

Have a full tool set, fresh fluids, and all fluids to top off. Any signs of leaking around the new head gasket?

So far it looks good. I've put on about 500 miles since fixing the head gasket. I'll give everything a good inspection and top off everything! I'm probably more paranoid because I've never driven it this far, and it's really not that far (140 miles). Haha

Check engine fluid levels AT LEAST daily. Since the recent maintenance I'd strongly suggest you check at each fuel fillup. Much easier to find and fix that seeping hose clamp early than after the hose has blown off.....

You'd also feel real stupid if you were to run the motor out of oil because you didn't realize that high speed driving was different from your around-town driving and that high speed used some oil.

(Knew someone who did that with a motorcycle. No oil used around town. 4 quarts used on a hot summer long distance trip. Didn't check it. Destroyed the motor.)

Personally I'd skip the sand. At least be sure and stay well above the high-tide line.....

140 miles? Dude bring a Slim Jim (the eatin kind) and a cup of coffee, a qt of oil, a bottle of brake fluid, and a couple bottles of water. Throw a 25 dollar HF tool kit in the back, check the fluids before you leave, and go. When you stop, check the fluids, its that simple.

Don't forget a spill kit, and a tarp for shade, shelter or ground cloth.
24/7 I've got 2 gallons of coolant, 1 of water, 4 quarts tranny, 6 oil, brake fluid, steering fluid, 12' of 3/8" transmission line for any 3/8" hose app, spare belt, headlight bulbs, fuses, tool box, multimeter, 10' vacuum line, marker bulbs, 6 flares, lights, tire plug kit, 2 bottles and 1 scissor jack.
Sounds like a ton but it' not more than 80 lbs of security anywhere. Load gets heavier for he woods of course lol.

OF couse I was an eagle Scout, so I'm a bit OCD about prep. "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

Don't forget your welder, plasma cutter, tube bender and a spare D60! I was an eagle scout too, I'm all for being prepared, but lets not get ridiculous. I don't think the OP is driving through a jungle, inhabited by inhospitable creatures. If you can't fix it with a basic pair of sockets, or very basic hand tools, you shouldn't be fixing it on the side of the road with cars whizzing inches away at 70 mph. Preparation isn't a replacement for some common sense.

Make sure your AAA Membership is paid up.

When you make a rest stop, it is a rest for the jeep also. After that 15 to 20 minute rest, check the coolant overflow bottle, make sure it still has coolant showing between the marks. Pull the engine dip-stick: Is the oil mark in range, does it look like oil? Do a walk-around: Any puddles under the Jeep, tires all look about the same?

My only other advise is to take the things you would need if you had to spend a night on the side of the road.

^^^^ X2 On x-jay vision's advice!!! And what's the point of owning a Jeep if you are not going to get into/onto the playground du jour -- a sandy beach in this case...

I got stuck some years ago in what could be very near the same beach the OP is talking about. A guy pulled us out for a couple of beers. I forget what he was driving but it was damned embarrassing. Turns out the 4WD light on our '85 was showing engagement but the mechanical part forgot to do its part. Happened about 30 years past my last chance at "Spring break" but the principle remains.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do everything listed and take some extra fluids/tools. And yes, I will be taking it into the sand. Taking my jeep to the beach and not having fun while there wouldn't feel right. I rarely get to go wheeling anymore since going to college.

'93 is an old timer but these are solid rigs. Take the precautions below and you should be ok. My '93 made 6 trips of 2150 miles in the middle of winter and travelling through places like Buffalo NY, Fargo ND, Billing Montana without a single issue. 3 of these were when she was young, 2 were in middle age and 1 came after she had fully "matured" with well over 170,000 miles on her.

She made a couple of trips between Toronto, Canada and Florida which were close to 1,300 miles each way.

She also made trips from Houston, TX to Washington, DC (1,400 miles) and from there to Edmonton, Canada (2,300 miles) at which point she had over 180,000 miles. Didn't burn any oil, didn't lose any coolant, the only thing that went down was the gas tank and washer fluid.

After all that (+ living 70% of her life in the salt belt), she finally caught a cold when one of the frost plugs rusted out causing me to lose all my coolant on the way to work. A couple of days in the shop to replace them and she hasn't even had a sniffle since then.

Have fun and don't worry about it.

Keep an eye on your oil pressure and listen for any bad noises. Check fluid levels (particularly oil and coolant) regularly, carry extra of both.

That's all I'd really do.

We drove my 90 XJ from California to Nova Scotia about 4.5 yrs ago. Original engine, still chugging along. If your Jeep is well maintained you should be fine...take a crescent wrench and a AAA card.

140 miles? Dude bring a Slim Jim (the eatin kind) and a cup of coffee, a qt of oil, a bottle of brake fluid, and a couple bottles of water. Throw a 25 dollar HF tool kit in the back, check the fluids before you leave, and go. When you stop, check the fluids, its that simple.

We drove my 90 XJ from California to Nova Scotia about 4.5 yrs ago. Original engine, still chugging along. If your Jeep is well maintained you should be fine...take a crescent wrench and a AAA card.

I drive 350+ miles from here in Jacksonville FL to Miami FL and back the same day without thinking of it in an XJ that have more than 270,000 miles. I routinely drive from Florida to New England, to Iowa or to Missouri and not think of it. Do not over think this trip. If your XJ is reasonably maintained, going 140 miles is no more of a bother that going to the corner store for a six pack of your favorite beverage. You would not need to stop for gas stop even.

My rig has been in much longer drives, just not as me as the owner. The previous owner drove it to Belize and back over the course of half a year. And he made the trip with it having around 150k. His stories from his trip were quite amazing.

Back