• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another XJ cage design thread, with an ME twist.

You know... by trying to completly get rid of the natuaral twist of a unibody. You could oopen a bag of worms you dont want.

Example. Leaf spring rear suspension doesnt break an alloy 44. Link it, then the 44 breaks. That rigid frame of the linked suspension contributed to broken axles.

this could become a problem with your rig. I dont know what could break, but who knows.

Can't say i know too much about a cage or anything you've mentioned here....but shouldn't it be able to handle more than a 7K static load? If you really want to go to the trouble of computer models, I think I would find a way to calculate stresses caused by a freeway rollover (70 mph) or a short drop (30 feet) with a sudden stop (big rock).

Scrappy said:
Example. Leaf spring rear suspension doesnt break an alloy 44. Link it, then the 44 breaks. That rigid frame of the linked suspension contributed to broken axles.

Are you sure you are not going out on a limb here?

Other than Rick, who else have you seen? When Brett's junk is running, is he having issues? Matt's not but he has an stout axle. Rick might have stressed the shit out of both sides on that one run for the other side to break the next day.

It is obvious that the energy now goes into the wheel when 4 linked as opposed to creating axle wrap but to be enough to destroy alloys on a 44 seems like a stretch. With this thoery then taction bars should be causing the 44 alloys to break as well.

Sorry to drag it off topic.

cracker said:
Are you sure you are not going out on a limb here?

Other than Rick, who else have you seen? When Brett's junk is running, is he having issues? Matt's not but he has an stout axle. Rick might have stressed the shit out of both sides on that one run for the other side to break the next day.

It is obvious that the energy now goes into the wheel when 4 linked as opposed to creating axle wrap but to be enough to destroy alloys on a 44 seems like a stretch. With this thoery then taction bars should be causing the 44 alloys to break as well.

Sorry to drag it off topic.

oh i know its a limb.. well more of a twig, but in reality i was trying to make myself feel better cuz with my cage i still get hella flex from the body!

I can say this, when I worked for a off road shop. We built chassis for desert and quads, even with copmuter testing for the "prefect" structure. The chassis still cracked in places that we would have never thought.

Just because its "perfect" doesnt mean the stress is gone. It just is harder to find. I think you (vetteboy) should just let the ideas come to you and make sketches when you need to. Then try to incorporate them into your build. Dont build for just function. You do have to drive in the thing, make it look badass too.

Screw all the cage shiat where in South Carolina are you? I have welder and can get tube!!

Scrappy said:
Just because its "perfect" doesnt mean the stress is gone. It just is harder to find. I think you (vetteboy) should just let the ideas come to you and make sketches when you need to. Then try to incorporate them into your build. Dont build for just function. You do have to drive in the thing, make it look badass too.

Oh, don't worry about that. It'll be friggin awesome, at least to me. I'm going to spend a lot of time on the details of this build, because I don't want to look at it in a year and say "oh, I wish I had done that better...". I've got the bonus of not having a set deadline for this, so the only limiting factors are gonna be time and money (as always). Hopefully I'll have it wheelable for the spring.

As for getting rid of the unibody flex...I agree, there's tradeoffs involved. There's always going to be some area of the chassis where you haven't stiffened it as much, and you'll end up with cracking and fatiguing at those points. I guess the key is building it, then identifying those areas before it becomes too much of a problem.

I don't think the leaf vs. link thing is really dependent on the unibody, but moreso how the respective suspensions were set up. I think Cracker's right about it probably being due to having more traction, and I'll even add to that by saying that depending on the anti-squat and such, there could have been more weight placed over the rear when trying to move than what used to be there.

But overall, this build is going to be as much about learning as it is about actually creating something. That's why I like posts/discussions like this one, because it helps me to relate what I can do in a theoretical sense to what happens in the real world.

Back