• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another welding question???Please help

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
I was planning on getting a Miller 175 or hobart 175 welder however i know that they are 230v. Since this is going in my garage i don;t know where i am going to get 230v from. I know that the house is a Phase 1 electrical outlet that has the power to put out 220v. Is there anyway to get it up to 230v? Also what will happen if i run a 230v welder off a 220v outlet? Any info on this matter would be great thanks.

The operating range is 208-240 volts.

RCP is dead on. Its funny when i got my welder i need to find out what wire I needed so I ask a guy a lowes and he said well is it 220 or 230 and I said it realy dosent mater its all the same from 208 to 240 but instaed of helping me he proceed to leature me on if i didn't know what i was doing then I should listen to a pro. well to say the least I walk out alaughing at him. Your fine as long as you have room in your panel if not make a extention cord that will plug in to your dryer if it is close. I had to do that years ago.

So basically if you run a 220v panel and have anything from 208-240v welder or appliance you are ok? I am just a bit curious because my uncle says that for 230v you need a phase 3 panel box. I just want to make sure cause i don't want to start a fire or find out that the welder won't work well with a 220v. Thanks

Take my word for it! I.B.E.W. LU 640 member since 1980.

Back