• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another piston slap/lifter question

Sounds good, I'll check as soon as it warms up a bit.

Out of curiosity, is it the typically the intake manifold or the exhaust manifold that cracks the easiest? Also, if one had to replace the exhaust manifold due to a crack, for example, is it best to replace the intake manifold at the same time?

Couple of things I noticed on my 93 (worst year for piston slap?) was it quites up faster with a 195 stat over 180. Another thing was the amount of use it got. If it sat for a long time lifter noise was more likely to happen. Now that my daughter drives it to H.S. and her job it is quieter. It always gets 15w40 in warm weather and 10w40 in the winter. It is noiser engine than my 91 YJ with 200,000 miles. also 04 TJ motor much less noise. It seems only a few years had really noisy motors.

MJCfromCT said:
Sounds good, I'll check as soon as it warms up a bit.

Out of curiosity, is it the typically the intake manifold or the exhaust manifold that cracks the easiest? Also, if one had to replace the exhaust manifold due to a crack, for example, is it best to replace the intake manifold at the same time?
Just the exhaust. I don't think the intake manifold is prone to cracking. The intake is cast aluminum, but the exhaust is welded steel, and tends to crack at the joints.

MAY POP said:
Couple of things I noticed on my 93 (worst year for piston slap?) was it quites up faster with a 195 stat over 180. Another thing was the amount of use it got. If it sat for a long time lifter noise was more likely to happen. Now that my daughter drives it to H.S. and her job it is quieter. It always gets 15w40 in warm weather and 10w40 in the winter. It is noiser engine than my 91 YJ with 200,000 miles. also 04 TJ motor much less noise. It seems only a few years had really noisy motors.
Of all the XJ's that I've had in the immediate family (87,88,93,95,96,99) the 95 is far the noisiest with 93 a distant second, the 96 and 99 tied for a more distant third. The Renix ones didn't slap at all. The 95 rattles like a diesel. It was noisy when I got it at 110K miles, and it's exactly the same 150k+ later.

Matthew Currie said:
Of all the XJ's that I've had in the immediate family (87,88,93,95,96,99) the 95 is far the noisiest with 93 a distant second, the 96 and 99 tied for a more distant third. The Renix ones didn't slap at all. The 95 rattles like a diesel. It was noisy when I got it at 110K miles, and it's exactly the same 150k+ later.

You skipped, rolled past a couple years there. :rof:

My 85 rattles like a diesel.

Opps, it is a diesel!:shocked:

Sounds like a serious jeep family history there!:patriot:

MJCfromCT said:
Alright here are some videos.

This first one is a cold start. What was interesting to me is that I couldn't start really hearing the tapping until ~1min after it started up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XgmZ5M3S8M

This next one is after it got up to temperature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ1GafLPOMM

One thing, unrelated to the tapping, how does my oil pressure look to you? It seems high, especially that hot idle...

Sounds just like the "slap" sequence of my '93, except mine might be a little louder and goes away when you increase throttle.

My understanding is that "slap" is supposed to go away with throttle. Mine always has.

We're roughly the same mileage and similar climates and noticed the problem for the same length of time.

As you suspect, you might just have a little more going on there than "slap" alone.

Best of luck... :thumbup:

My 94 has a slight piston slap issue,but not as loud as yours. Try putting your foot on the brake and give very slight throttle to load the engine if it quiets its piston slap. The noise sounds more like a crack right in your exhaust manifold to me.
Also I've been using Mobil 1 since I've owned it with no issues,but like what was said before if you put it in it may clean the crap that is actually plugging a leak that was already there. It does not cause leaks

Try putting your foot on the brake and give very slight throttle to load the engine if it quiets its piston slap.

Can you test the same way by just giving it a little throttle in Park, or do you need in gear to do this?

The noise sounds more like a crack right in your exhaust manifold to me.

Right, I'll be checking for this when I get my stethoscope shipped, and when it warms up just a tad :)

I've been using Mobil 1 since I've owned it with no issues,but like what was said before if you put it in it may clean the crap that is actually plugging a leak that was already there. It does not cause leaks

Oh yeah, I understand this. While I'd like nothing better than to have a nice clean engine on the inside, I'd like nothing worse than an engine that leaks all over the place. Realistically, at 192K, I don't think this is a good time to consider switching to synthetic.

Back